Wiring harness sub assemblies

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Marmalute
PFC
PFC

Wiring harness sub assemblies

Post by Marmalute »

Hello everyone, happy new year to all, cheers!
So considering I’m in the middle of our 6 month winter (6 month of winter and six months of bad skiing), I’ve decided to do some smaller projects that can be fit into the greater time I spend indoors this time of year. Currently (pardon the pun), I’d like to build some wiring harnesses sub assemblies that I will connect to the main harnesses when the time comes. Specifically, I’d like to make the headlight harnesses (wires 17,18,91) and the engine harness. I have all the correct materials, Douglas connectors and all, but what I don’t have is length of wiring “runs”. The rigs I’m working with had been picked pretty clean by the vultures before I got them, so it’s not just a matter of using old ones for templates, which of course would be a piece of cake.
I searched the archives and found no information, and of course there is nothing in the TM/TOs about it.
So the question is: does anyone out there have “dimensioned prints” or other info like wiring run lengths that would pertain to headlights and gauges of a 51 M37 or know of someone or someplace that might?
I appreciate any and all input on this, thank you, Doug
just me
1SG
1SG

Re: Wiring harness sub assemblies

Post by just me »

Gauges are the spider. Headlights are maybe 16" or so. I can look tonight. It's only 78 here, but ill suffer it for a few minutes.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
Marmalute
PFC
PFC

Post by Marmalute »

Just me, the power for the gauges is the spider, but, the engine harness I guess would go to the oil pressure, temperature sender (grounds), and the ignition feed, but I can’t recall if they all route on inner fender skirt or what, and which ones get “bundled” together or if they even do.
lI can make harnesses any way I want as it is just a matter of “connect the dots” but I want is to end up with wiring that is as “originally correct” as possible.
78 huh? I think we got a few days that warm last summer but, I could be wrong. Thanks for going the extra mile for me!
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Ended up having to go out on call. Won't be home until well after dark tonight. But to continue, all of the rest of the wiring is in two major harnesses. The front harness has all the lighting, senders, horn, ignition, gauges and flashers. It runs down both inner fenders and across the upper inside of the cowl. The rear harness contains rear lights, trailer connection, fuel sender and brake light switch. It runs down the curbside frame and connects (except for the fuel sender to gauge wire) to the front harness on the curbside inner fender.
(I've done 3 of these harnesses so far.)
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
Marmalute
PFC
PFC

Post by Marmalute »

It’s been 20 years since I put new wiring into M37s. For some reason I thought the “engine management” (oil pressure, temp, and ignition switch wires were separate from the lighting and horn wiring (front harness). So I guess I’ll have to build a front harness completely, which shouldn’t be a big deal considering the amount of circuits we are talking here. I suppose what I should be asking for here is whether anyone has dimensioned prints for the front harness as well as the sub assembly harnesses ( headlights). Short of that, perhaps some member of g741 has an old front harness that I could borrow or buy of which I could use as a pattern to make a new one. I have a new rear harness so I am all set there for now. Honestly I figured if I could get working dimensions for the headlight harnesses, I could bang out a few in my spare time (I have 2 M37s) while I wasn’t stuffing firewood into the wood stoves here!
Once again, thanks for your help!
Marmalute
PFC
PFC

Post by Marmalute »

So, turns out I have an early style front wiring harness that I can use as a “template” to make a new wiring harness. Found it in storage today! In fact, it looks good enough to use as it is, but I find wiring fun, I will likely make a new one, just for fun. I am still looking for dimensions of the headlight wiring harnesses as after a search, I came up empty handed. Interestingly, for a few minutes I thought I found one in my miscellaneous wiring harnesses. It had “17”, “18”, and “20” tags on the wires with a 48” length and a separate “91” wire 15” long. Somehow the 48” seemed wrong and I think what I found was a right headlight wire for a g758 (m38a1)- ha ha, perhaps too many mvs!
Again, if anyone is doing work on the front of a stock M37 and could measure the sub assembly headlight harnesses and give me working dimensions, I’d certainly appreciate it, thank you, Doug
rickf
SSGT
SSGT

Post by rickf »

I have brand new Vintage Wiring harness's still in the bags that I can check for you. They are in one of my sheds. Do you have a phone number I can call during the day so that I make sure I am giving the right dimensions? PM it if you do. I actually have all of the harness's for the truck so if you need any of the others now is the time.
1953 M37
1964 M151A1
1967 M416
1984 M1008
4/1952 M100
12/1952 M100 gone
rickf
SSGT
SSGT

Post by rickf »

Finally was able to get into my frozen storage box. Here they are. Yes, it was laid out straight on the tape when I took the pic. Quite the feat to get a round, curved, frozen harness held down at both ends flat on tape with one hand while taking the pic on a cell phone with the other. Easy for teenagers but damn hard for old guys with arthritic hands! You can see the duct tape in the background, almost reverted to that to hold it down. :lol: :lol: :lol:

1953 M37
1964 M151A1
1967 M416
1984 M1008
4/1952 M100
12/1952 M100 gone