Stovebolt T5 transmission swap?

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

808morgan
CPL
CPL

Stovebolt T5 transmission swap?

Post by 808morgan »

I saw some discussion on here from 2008 about the T5 transmission adaptor Stovebolt makes, mostly I see detailed information on Jalopy Journal and it's with cars or vehicles not like an M37. If I didn't want to change my gearing yet, or at all, I thought maybe the tranny swap and a transfer case cooler would make it a bit better? So since 2008 has anyone done this?

I was wondering if anyone had a detailed description of what it takes to complete the T5 swap in an M37, since I can only find info for hotrods. I assume their modifications are not applicable to our needs.

Thanks
just me
1SG
1SG

Re: Stovebolt T5 transmission swap?

Post by just me »

Civilian bolt pattern is different from military trans to bellhousing. If the adapter is block to bellhousing, you might be ok.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
808morgan
CPL
CPL

Post by 808morgan »

just me wrote:Civilian bolt pattern is different from military trans to bellhousing. If the adapter is block to bellhousing, you might be ok.
My block is actually a Chrysler industrial 230, so it's civilian but it wasn't in a truck. I emailed Stovebolt but they haven't responded yet. Thanks
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Block to bellhousing is same military or civy. Trans is different to bellhousing military or civy.
808morgan
CPL
CPL

Post by 808morgan »

just me wrote:Block to bellhousing is same military or civy. Trans is different to bellhousing military or civy.
I'm not sure it's a tough enough tranny, I don't see any examples so maybe it's not a good idea.
808morgan
CPL
CPL

Post by 808morgan »

808morgan wrote:
just me wrote:Block to bellhousing is same military or civy. Trans is different to bellhousing military or civy.
I'm not sure it's a tough enough tranny, I don't see any examples so maybe it's not a good idea.
Every tranny swap I see for M37s are all for other engines that were used. Are they any good synchronized gearboxes that would fit in the space of the original? I'm sure any adapters could be made. My friend says he knows a machinist that can do whatever.
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Canadian ACME would bolt in.
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Post by Kaegi »

stock has synchros in 3rd and 4th. are you looking for overdrive? T5 too wimpy for an M37. there is no adapter on the market for an OD tranny in an M37 or PW or WC either. there was a guy years ago making a set up for a clark 5 speed but dont think they are still doing it. I think a NV 4500 or a getrag 360 could be adapted. would just have to get it all on the bench and come up with a plan.
the least expensice way to go faster is to run 10.50 16 or 11.00 16 tires. that 3 inches extra in height ads around 7 mph to top speed. another option is 4.89 gears. cost a bit more but get even more top speed than the tire upgrade
808morgan
CPL
CPL

Post by 808morgan »

Kaegi wrote:stock has synchros in 3rd and 4th. are you looking for overdrive? T5 too wimpy for an M37. there is no adapter on the market for an OD tranny in an M37 or PW or WC either. there was a guy years ago making a set up for a clark 5 speed but dont think they are still doing it. I think a NV 4500 or a getrag 360 could be adapted. would just have to get it all on the bench and come up with a plan.
the least expensice way to go faster is to run 10.50 16 or 11.00 16 tires. that 3 inches extra in height ads around 7 mph to top speed. another option is 4.89 gears. cost a bit more but get even more top speed than the tire upgrade

Oh I have 4.89 gears, I just want a better tranny, the unsynched stuff makes it a pain in some places, if I could get a nice one it would ease my mind. I might get an electric e brake so I can just hit it and be stopped and locked.
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Post by Kaegi »

I believe the Canadian acme is synchro 2 through 4. The acme is actually just a borg warner T18?
RCrombie
CPL
CPL

Post by RCrombie »

T98 I think you meant. And yes it’s synchronized 2-3-4. The case that is used is a Canadian design but the innards are T98.
I recall the input shaft being different from othe T98 trans as well, but I think that’s one of the only things.
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Post by Kaegi »

RCrombie wrote:T98 I think you meant. And yes it’s synchronized 2-3-4. The case that is used is a Canadian design but the innards are T98.
I recall the input shaft being different from othe T98 trans as well, but I think that’s one of the only things.
thanks for the corrections.
RCrombie
CPL
CPL

Post by RCrombie »

No worries. I’m only giving my 2 cents as I have two of the Canadian transmissions here.
808morgan
CPL
CPL

Post by 808morgan »

RCrombie wrote:No worries. I’m only giving my 2 cents as I have two of the Canadian transmissions here.
I think finding the Canadian tranny might not be easy unless you or someone would sell me one, I'm in California. I know a guy with a whole Canadian truck sitting on his land but he will never part it out. But if you would be willing to sell me one and put it on a pallet etc.. I might be interested.
RCrombie
CPL
CPL

Post by RCrombie »

Well, I had picked up the one as a spare as they aren't particularly common around here either. Did anything south of the border use the T98 in the same bolt pattern?