steering column sizes

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

superbee70
PFC
PFC

steering column sizes

Post by superbee70 »

anyone have a pic or measurements of the steering column inner or outer. I think it's 2 pieces? but haven't had it apart yet. Getting ready to start my steering conversion but want to make I have the right parts. adapting 89 dodge box to a wrangler steering shaft to the stock column...hopefully
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Re: steering column sizes

Post by Elwood »

Are you looking for the outside diameter of the shaft itself (item MM), or the inside and/or outside dimensions of the jacket (item Q)?

The shaft is one piece (with a pressed on worm that includes integral upper and lower bearing races) from inside the steering box up to the splined end that mates with the steering wheel. The jacket is also one piece, with the lower end clamped to the steering gearbox casting, then passing through the firewall, and ending at the upper shaft support bearing just under the steering wheel hub.

“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
superbee70
PFC
PFC

Re: steering column sizes

Post by superbee70 »

Plan to shorten MM and attach to a 3/4" DD shaft. The attachment for this will be close to the firewall so the outer jacket will need shortening. Will have to cut the outer jacket and need to make a spacer. Has anyone used the snake river spacer?