Stencils vs Decals

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

DCook
CPL
CPL

Stencils vs Decals

Post by DCook »

I have a 1951 M37 and want to understand which is technically correct for the first production year of the M37 - Stencils Or Decals?
Which ever is correct, who can currently provide correct size, font, and graphics?
John @ MWM gave me Larry's number 952-201-3489, but after a couple of tries and messages left, I have not had a return call.
MVPA Member #23780
1942 Chev. 1 1/2 Ton Dump Truck
1951 M37 W/W, & Field Radio
1953 M43
1958 Navy CJ3B
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Re: Stencils vs Decals

Post by m-37Bruce »

Who's Larry?
Rick has oil-boards, stencils and decals, www.milstencil.com Have you looked at his page yet?
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
DCook
CPL
CPL

Post by DCook »

Thanks for the lead Bruce. I checked that site, but they are off on vacation. That gives me a direction-so thanks.
I still would like to learn when painted on identification using stencils changed to decals, or if decals are only a current way of marking?
Is there an information resource for this subject?
MVPA Member #23780
1953 M43
1958 Navy CJ3B
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

On my truck I used Rick's paint masks, worked out beautifully.
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

For your truck being a 1951 you want to paint your markings on the truck. The earliest text I could find saying that stick on decals is from the 1970s so I would say paint would be best for your truck.

As for stencils you can also try Delta Team Decals http://www.i2k.com/~schwarzd/
Dave aka Beast has a M37, M715 and a M35. I think he might even have a M151 but I'm not sure. Good guy to deal with and makes a great product.
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
Beast

Post by Beast »

k8icu wrote:For your truck being a 1951 you want to paint your markings on the truck. The earliest text I could find saying that stick on decals is from the 1970s so I would say paint would be best for your truck.

As for stencils you can also try Delta Team Decals http://www.i2k.com/~schwarzd/
Dave aka Beast has a M37, M715 and a M35. I think he might even have a M151 but I'm not sure. Good guy to deal with and makes a great product.
Thanks for the nod, but please make sure to use the current website, http://www.deltateamdecals.com/home.html as the one you listed has not been active for several years. And yes we do make both decal and paint mask sets for the M37. To answer you question on weather decals or paint, originally your truck would have come from the factory with paint markings and through several field repaints. Decals were not used until 1964 by the military, so if your truck survived in service until after 1964 then there was a chance that during a repaint it may have been remarked with decals. Now why some people use decals when restoring their trucks is simply that they are easier to install than paint markings. (less steps and less chance of messing them up). So really it's up to you as to what you like and if you are planning a "factory" or a "motorpool" restoration.
DCook
CPL
CPL

Post by DCook »

Excellent help guys - Thanks. I'm trying to get my truck ready for this weekends Veterans Day Parade, and some of my markings were a little aged. I had to make do with a white paint pencil for this weekend, but will definitely get your help for correcting them as time allows.
MVPA Member #23780
1953 M43
1958 Navy CJ3B
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

Beast wrote:
k8icu wrote:For your truck being a 1951 you want to paint your markings on the truck. The earliest text I could find saying that stick on decals is from the 1970s so I would say paint would be best for your truck.

Thanks for the nod, but please make sure to use the current website, http://www.deltateamdecals.com/home.html as the one you listed has not been active for several years. And yes we do make both decal and paint mask sets for the M37. To answer you question on weather decals or paint, originally your truck would have come from the factory with paint markings and through several field repaints. Decals were not used until 1964 by the military, so if your truck survived in service until after 1964 then there was a chance that during a repaint it may have been remarked with decals. Now why some people use decals when restoring their trucks is simply that they are easier to install than paint markings. (less steps and less chance of messing them up). So really it's up to you as to what you like and if you are planning a "factory" or a "motorpool" restoration.

Thanks for sharing the new link, I will book mark it for later.

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

Beast wrote:

Funny the linked worked so that's why I used it. But thanks for putting up the correct one. You do good work so that's why I share the love. Us small business guys have to look out for one another.
M37s are HMMWV in my world!