Electrical Question

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

ez8
CPL
CPL

Electrical Question

Post by ez8 »

I just had my generator rebuilt. Along with it I installed a new solid state regulator from VPW.

When I go to hook up the battery, I get a an arc when hooking up the last lead. This happens whether I hook up positive last or negative last.

Before the generator rebuild and new regulator I had a small spark when hooking up the leads, but nothing of this magnitude.

Perhaps I didn't polarize the generator correctly?

I've verified that all electrical switches are off when hooking up the battery: ignition, lights, heater fan.

What gives?
PoW
SSGT
SSGT

Re: Electrical Question

Post by PoW »

Start by disconnecting the + battery cable and the two Bendix cables at the regulator, leaving the generator connected to its' cable, but not to the regulator. Leave the - battery cable connected as well.

Using a test light in series with your + battery cable and battery +, see if it lights. (You can use a spare stop light bulb for this test)

If it does light, temporarily pull wire #10 off the circuit breaker behind the dash panel and test again. If no light, the short is downstream in the system rather than the charging system.

When that short is remedied and if there is a second short indicated, proceed to check the charging system:

Connect the output Bendix cable (the 4-pin) to the regulator and test again. If it lights, the regulator is shorted internally. In my experience, solid-state regulators are always suspect.

If it does not light, connect the generator cable and test. If it lights, the generator is faulty.

I hope this helps you out.

PoW
ez8
CPL
CPL

Post by ez8 »

After testing, it is definitely the generator. If it is unplugged, no problems. Once plugged in, arc.

The generator was professionally rebuilt and I'm not knowledgeable enough with them to know what the problem might be.
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Have the "professional" fix his mistake.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
PoW
SSGT
SSGT

Post by PoW »

Make sure the indexing notch is lined up properly on the cable/receptical.

PoW