Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Marmalute
PFC
PFC

Fuel tank rust removal

Post by Marmalute »

Hey everyone!
I picked up a fuel tank earlier this summer, overall it seems solid enough, it just needs a good derusting on the inside followed by a fuel tank reseal.
The issue is the rust removal. My plan is/was to use electrolysis to remove the rust inside. I have done a little reading in the forum archives, and it seems inconclusive as to whether this method works for inside the tank and if so, any success stories out there that might shed some light on making this work? If the consensus is that tha as a "line of sight" technique, electrolysis does NOT work, does anyone have success stories about rust removal on the inside of fuel tanks? I currently have a 6 gallon metal tank that would have been used for outboard motor boats in the 70s. It's a nifty setup but temporary at best and too small except for the local proving ground.
Tanks in advance for help with this!
Doug
just me
1SG
1SG

Re: Fuel tank rust removal

Post by just me »

I did it the old fashioned way. Acid, then neutralize.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
Marmalute
PFC
PFC

Post by Marmalute »

Muriatic acid?
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Hydrochloric, neutralized with Sodium Hydroxide and then rinsed clear and oiled with a mist to prevent flash rust. Not for the timid, or untrained. This is some truly dangerous stuff and requires proper safety precautions.
Find a GOOD commercial radiator shop to do it for you.
jim lee
SSGT
SSGT

Post by jim lee »

I played around with the acid trick in the past and.. Find a good radiator shop.

Really, its a horrible and scary mess to deal with.

-jim lee
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

I took mine to a Radiator shop, they did their magic and fixed one hole and told me about a previous fix, a dime brazed onto it. I think any radiator shop can do it for you?
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
R1830
PVT
PVT

Post by R1830 »

I just had mine done at a rad shop. They shot peened itninside and out.
In Progress: 1952 M37CDN Teardown
Marmalute
PFC
PFC

Post by Marmalute »

Thanks all for the perspectives!
So far, it seems like the consensus is to have a radiator shop derust the fuel tank.
Sadly, for me, most, if not all radiator repair shops that were near me, have closed their doors, and the good ones I know of are a couple of hundred miles away.
The issue I have with cleaning rust with hydrochloric acid is that the acid will eat through the good metal as well as the rust. My goal is to try to remove just the rust but not the "good" metal. That is why I am considering the electrolysis method.
I do find the idea of shot peening interesting, but I can't say I know of anyplace that does that locally.
Looks like I'm going to have to do some more research.
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

There used to be a place you could send it to, I don't recall their name unfortunately? Vintage Power Wagon might know?
Wish I was more help.
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

all I can say is never get flame near an empty gas tank, my brother in law, back decades ago, thought he had properly aired out a fuel tank, and it exploded on him, and only lived because a helicopter came out to his farm. He spent nearly 9 months in a burn unit, and has the scars to this day. And the radiator shop I had used in the past, has also closed, perhaps due to OSHA regulations, or just fewer people needing them. It looked dangerous to me, just these concrete tanks with fumes and noxious vapors coming up from them. I thought if a person tripped and went into them, it would be worse than a tank of Piranha's.

I have no suggestion for de-rusting a fuel tank. Just to be very, very careful.

NV
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

Back when I started looking for options, different size chains, 6 and 10 inch lengths, and a solution of some solvent and another liquid (don't remember it exactly) lot of shaking and rolling and tumbling, with a modicum of care and maybe a another shot at it, and success was yours? It also sounded like a lot of effort too. Seems to me, Monkey Man, aka; MM, might be able to shed a bit of light on this operation?
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Ive seen them fill with nuts and chain and a rust converter and sealed and strapped to a mortar mixer and left to run.
jim lee
SSGT
SSGT

Post by jim lee »

In my old '70 Camaro, back in the day, I had to pull the gas tank to do some body work. Now, there was always a big rattle going on in there. For years, you stop and here this Drdrdrd... something rolling around. So I finnaly get a chance to open it up take a look. First thing I notice is that the inside of the tank is spotlessly clean! I'm talking medical. Then I get a hold of what's rolling around and pull it out. Its not a piece of the pickup as I suspected, its a cold chisel! WTF!? How did a cold chisel get into my gas tank?

One of the mysteries of life. But it sure kept that tank clean!

-jimlee
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

jim lee wrote:In my old '70 Camaro, back in the day, I had to pull the gas tank to do some body work. Now, there was always a big rattle going on in there. For years, you stop and here this Drdrdrd... something rolling around. So I finnaly get a chance to open it up take a look. First thing I notice is that the inside of the tank is spotlessly clean! I'm talking medical. Then I get a hold of what's rolling around and pull it out. Its not a piece of the pickup as I suspected, its a cold chisel! WTF!? How did a cold chisel get into my gas tank?

One of the mysteries of life. But it sure kept that tank clean!

-jimlee
That is an odd one, did you get the Camaro new?
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
jim lee
SSGT
SSGT

Post by jim lee »

No, I'd bought it as a wee tot for $400 in.. Summer 1978? It was running on 3 cylinders. The PO tried to get clever and pull 4 wires off to hide the miss. Got the wrong 4 wires. It was pretty beat up when I got it and I learned much of what I know about working on cars getting it running, and rebuilding it twice. Ran that machine all over Calif. for 11 years? Was a LOT of fun that machine. Gave it to my Nephew in the end and his step dad took it from him. Lost track of it after that. The car had a full life so who knows when it got dropped in there. Maybe at a party?

-jim lee