Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

ez8
CPL
CPL

Polarizing the Generator

Post by ez8 »

TM 9-8030 notes on page 255 under "g. Polarize the Generator (3)"

"Touch the other end of the jumper wire momentarily to the terminal of the starter switch. A flash connection is sufficient to polarize the generator."

Question 1: Terminal of the starter switch means the switch on top of the starter where the battery cable connects to it?

Question 2: If I did that and I get no spark, what does that mean for the generator?
jim lee
SSGT
SSGT

Re: Polarizing the Generator

Post by jim lee »

What is this "Polarizing the Generator" thing you speak of?

-jim lee
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

jim lee wrote:What is this "Polarizing the Generator" thing you speak of?

-jim lee
Something that needs to be done to generator systems when the generator is serviced or the regulator is replaced.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

for those of us with the 100 amp system, I called Charles T and asked about this "polarization" thing, (not to be confused with the current US political climate), and he reassured me that the 100 amp units are actually alternators, and do not need any "polarization", which is good, because I am sure if I had to do so, I would have sent my truck in in flames.

NV
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

ez8 wrote:TM 9-8030 notes on page 255 under "g. Polarize the Generator (3)"

"Touch the other end of the jumper wire momentarily to the terminal of the starter switch. A flash connection is sufficient to polarize the generator."

Question 1: Terminal of the starter switch means the switch on top of the starter where the battery cable connects to it?

Question 2: If I did that and I get no spark, what does that mean for the generator?
A simple check with a voltmeter (And/Or ammeter) will tell you if it working.
ez8
CPL
CPL

Post by ez8 »

A simple check with a voltmeter (And/Or ammeter) will tell you if it working.[/quote]

That doesn't really answer either of the original questions, though.
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Connect it to battery. That is a convenient point.
Flashing means a very brief connection between the field windings and battery. Not sparking. (Although, most times there is a spark when you do it.)
You can read through this for more info.

https://www.hunker.com/12507304/how-to- ... -generator
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Post by Kaegi »

all old vehicles require this when you replace the regulator and generator. One cool thing about generators I prefer over alternators is you don't need a battery to make it work. once it polarized and you spin it its making energy. alternators need some voltage to work. So if in the middle of nowhere and the battery fries, gets stolen etc you can compression start and drive anywhere with a generator.
rickf
SSGT
SSGT

Post by rickf »

That was where the old "take the battery cable off and if it still runs the charging system is good" came from. Problem is that with an alternator and ESPECIALLY with computers, you can fry the entire system by doing that. Usually you just take out the diodes in the alternator.
1953 M37
1964 M151A1
1967 M416
1984 M1008
4/1952 M100
12/1952 M100 gone
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

yeah, once, back about '79, I fried two Lucas diode sets in one day, each rebuilding cost me $150 each. Was my Huffaker modified Triumph TR8.

I have never understood how an electron, exiting a device, can find its was precisely back to the battery ground. All the places for a wondering electron to end up, and they invariably find their way home, to complete a circuit.

True to its British heritage, that TR8 later caught fire in my garage in my quarters at Ft Bragg, and nearly took the whole quarters with it.

NV
rickf
SSGT
SSGT

Post by rickf »

NAM VET wrote:yeah, once, back about '79, I fried two Lucas diode sets in one day, each rebuilding cost me $150 each. Was my Huffaker modified Triumph TR8.

I have never understood how an electron, exiting a device, can find its was precisely back to the battery ground. All the places for a wondering electron to end up, and they invariably find their way home, to complete a circuit.

True to its British heritage, that TR8 later caught fire in my garage in my quarters at Ft Bragg, and nearly took the whole quarters with it.

NV
Sorry but I had to chuckle at electrical woes on the Triumph. Lucas electrics The Prince of Darkness. I used to work on a lot of high end cars and as such had my share of Jaguars, Triumphs, an occasional Bentley and only one ever Rolls Royce. That one had no mechanical or electrical issues. The rest though all suffered from Lucas' woes. And I have owned probably 17-18 British motorcycles. They were the worst! Lucas electrics meets vibration and wet conditions.
1953 M37
1964 M151A1
1967 M416
1984 M1008
4/1952 M100
12/1952 M100 gone
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

I had the Improved 3 position light switch in my Jaguar. Off-Flicker-Dim.
rickf
SSGT
SSGT

Post by rickf »

Yea, flicker was optional. :lol:
1953 M37
1964 M151A1
1967 M416
1984 M1008
4/1952 M100