Still chuggin' around...

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Cal_Gary

Still chuggin' around...

Post by Cal_Gary »

Well my odometer just cleared 1700 miles, the last hundred or so on the freshly rebuilt tranny, with no issues, thankfully. However, my oil pan gasket repair didn't go quite as well-seeping from the front dome so I'll have to redo it before winter hits. Hey, at least I'll have the M37 available this winter after it was deadlined all of last winter. I do need to repair the captive nuts on some of my winch extensions then remount the winch and bumperettes that are still pending from my front main repair earlier this summer.

Need to get that air horn kit installed too!

Hope everyone is doing well!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Re: Still chuggin' around...

Post by NAM VET »

One of the captive nuts on my winch extensions was stripped, so the easiest thing to do was to just get a longer bolt, and then add another nut on the other side; presto, voila, or one of those phrases, and was able to make it tight as I wanted. ACE hardware is a great place to get what you need, or if you have a Festenal outlet near you, they too have every sort of fastener, in bags of two to a hundred. The long cork strips at each end of the sump pan are just strange. I had about 3/8 sticking up to "crush' when I bolted my sump up. It was easier to do with the motor upside down on an engine stand. Be sure you don't strip the threads on the block's flange. You might get studs for the end block holes, less risk that way, and it does help hold the side gaskets in place. There are differing opinions on what sealant to use and how much.

On my sump, I fond on disassembly that one of the spot welds that holds the cork in the inner flange rail at the "hump" was broken, so had a shop re-weld it for me. If you want very easy to use and not crossthread studs, order a set of 1/4 coarse/fine ones from ARP, they have this "bullet" nose making it easy and perfect to start a nut on the stud. You can't cross thread a nut on them. I just my local Pep Boys order me some spare ARP fasteners. And remember, antiseize is your friend on the winch bolts.

I know how you feel about finally driving your truck. I only got my own on the road a week or so ago after having it sit in my driveway since last fall.

NV
Cal_Gary

Re: Still chuggin' around...

Post by Cal_Gary »

Thanks Nam Vet! Indeed I do have a Fastenal store close by-saved me when I had to buy all those bolts when converting to the winch and bumperettes.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500