Govenor = throttle return spring?

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

ez8
CPL
CPL

Govenor = throttle return spring?

Post by ez8 »

This is my first vehicle with a governor on it so pardon the perhaps simple question: does the governor function as a throttle return spring? With no operator input, my accelerator pedal is pegged to the floor. I can raise up on it easily with my foot and the engine idles fine and I've not seen an obvious place for a return spring on the truck itself nor in the TM. Whatever the remedy, I can tell my current accelerator peddle situation is not correct.

Your help is appreciated.
rickf
SSGT
SSGT

Re: Govenor = throttle return spring?

Post by rickf »

Pedal return spring is on the throttle linkage under carburetor. From linkage to carb base. That will put your pedal where it belongs. On mine it is on the linkage that crosses over from the drivers side. That linkage is quite an engineering accomplishment. (note sarcasm)
1953 M37
1964 M151A1
1967 M416
1984 M1008
4/1952 M100
12/1952 M100 gone
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

The governor is what actually controls the position of the butterfly plate in the throttle body. The throttle linkage does not directly control the throttle plate opening in the carburetor's throttle body. If you remove the cover from the governor housing, you can see how the throttle linkage interacts with the governor.

The throttle linkage (floor pedal and dash knob) does have a return spring (item "W" in this illustration from ORD 9 SNL G-741):

“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
PoW
SSGT
SSGT

Post by PoW »

One end of the return spring goes into a small hole in a formed out piece in the firewall. The other goes into a teardrop-shaped piece of flat metal on the 1/4" pushrod to the bellcrank on the manifold.

PoW
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

When I recently did my engine out rebuild, and put my throttle return spring and short wire that attaches the little tab and goes to a small hole on the firewall, I found it just too close to to some other engine part under the carb, and so I made a short metal tab to move it about an inch away from the pinch weld on the firewall. I'll take a picture of my linkage later today, and put it here for you.

NAM VET
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

here is a view of my linkage, note my yellow extension tab on the firewall, with a bolt thru one of the firewall bolt holes holding the inside upper plate. No interference with anything else now.

NV

[url=https://postimg.org/image/z8fk6gic ... .jpg[/img][/url]