Screw size?

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

jim lee
SSGT
SSGT

Screw size?

Post by jim lee »

The screw that goes through the latch mech. in the driver's door. Its kinda by your elbow when driving and holds the latch thing from sliding back and forth. Also holds it to the inner door panel I guess. Anyway mine fell out yesterday. $%*^$##!!! So went out today to find something to replace it. Nothing I found fit. Is it #12? Tried 1/4" Coarse & fine, too fat. 3/16" Too loose.

I'm kinda' stuck.

-jim lee
Chris P
CPL
CPL

Re: Screw size?

Post by Chris P »

I'm not sure I'm looking at the correct screw, but it may be one that the manual lists as:

Screw, No. 12-24NC-2 x 7/8
Chris P
1954 M37
MVPA
MHCC
jim lee
SSGT
SSGT

Post by jim lee »

It is a #12. I found a fastener store that had some. Tacoma screw, big warehouse. I had to help find the one little box of #12 screws that they had. He kept going on about what kind? material? Size? Knowing that if I specified anything beyond #12, they wouldn't have any. I told him anything #12. We went back and found one box of stainless #12-1/2" panheads. "Good enough, Thank you!"

Arrgh! I hate that they used #12s all over in these trucks. They are so tough to find.

But in the end? All fixed.

-jim lee
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Of all places, the Ace Hardware by my house has a large assortment. And McFadden Dale and McMaster if I want to wait a day.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

I've had good luck with Ace too, great assortment and they don't mind you helping yourself.
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
jim lee
SSGT
SSGT

Post by jim lee »

I've actually used Ace a lot for fasteners when I was building boats. Their quality wasn't bad and there selection was pretty good too. I'd use them for engineering projects and the occasional "Oh no, need it now!" Never looked for #12s there though. I'll have to have a look see.

-jim lee