The work keeps coming...

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Cal_Gary

The work keeps coming...

Post by Cal_Gary »

I tagged on Nam Vet's post about getting my rear main done last week. Yesterday I started disassembling the front in order to get to the front main seal that's been leaking forever. While I'm in there I'll also be replacing the water pump with a new one, new stainless water distribution tube (thanks to John at Midwest for both), and also changing my alternator pulley so I can run the M37-sized belt.

I've pulled the winch and bumperettes as a unit, water pump, and then rooted out the old distro tube-it is so cancered out I was surprised that it came out as a single piece.

Yes, I took pix but need to clear some space on my laptop in order to post them.
More to follow,
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Re: The work keeps coming...

Post by NAM VET »

yeah I too was ready for an ordeal with the removal of my water tube, but one good yank and it came out in one piece. I think my motor was rebuilt by a non-depot shop maybe 25 years or so. I have spent so much time over the past few months on my truck's restoration that the last few nights I have had dreams about driving it. Woke up a few minutes ago dreaming I was driving it across deep creeks! Maybe because I am close to getting it back on the road. My back is too sore to do anything today what with the saga of my generator yesterday.

My motor and every thing attached to it is satin black. I have painted the fenders and engine compartment with Gillespie semi-gloss green from 'the '50's. But when I put the vent cross-over tube from the oil fill to the carb yesterday, I thought I would add a single piece of "bling" to my motor. So used Catepillar yellow on the tube. My table of spare bagged and tagged removed parts is getting less busy every day as I use more and more of the parts. I have found it is a proven axiom that motors come apart a lot easier than they go back together. And the TM's admonition to put this bolt or nut on before something else is attached is very true.

I have been back to the local industrial tube and hose business so many times that when I walked in yesterday, the second time, one of the counter guys asked "Hey Hal, what do you need now?" They have been so helpful that not long ago I brought them pizza for lunch. I think they want to see my truck running almost as much as I do.

Time for another cup of coffee, and double up on the back spasm meds. Maybe time for a picture....

Appropriate perhaps... when a chopper came to pick me up from my District after my year as an advisor way south in the Delta, I climbed aboard with my captured Type 53 Chicom carbine and a small handbag, and as the chopper lifted off and the pilots circled for one last look at my home for six months I shot this picture. My year in Vietnam was very influential in my life, giving me confidence and resolution to embark on a very different life. The next 9 years to become a physician, continuing my affiliation with the Army. [URL=http://s663.photobucket.com/user/h ... .jpg[/img][/url]
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

I feel your pain Nam Vet-still digging into mine, got the front pulley off, drilled out the broken bolt, re-tapped it, pulled the flange, front motor mount and the support brackets. All of that took about 3 hours and on the way to work I took the front mount, pulley, and support brackets to the spray and wash to get all of the scunge off-the paint underneath was surprisingly fresh on the front mount so I'm not going to repaint it. Later today I will finally pull off that dastardly greasy timing cover, wretched front seal, replace it, clean the cover, then finally start reassembly. Quite a workout....

Nice photo of the skyward M60....
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

On this forum there recently was a suggestion (I think from Charles T) about using a more modern front National Seal than the unmarked one that comes in gasket sets, or the one I got from a Power Wagon vendor. I decided when I had the older National Seal pressed in by my machine shop, to acquire the more modern National Seal 6636s, which I had my local parts shop get for me, only took about three days. I think 12 bucks or so. My machine shop pressed out the "new" seal, and put in the 6636s one. There is a gasket that goes in first, my new one was not hurt, so he just pressed in the new seal. But I suppose a light coating of something like Permatex #2 would work just as well. Another forum member suggested the Permatex and I think it has a lot of uses on these engines. Heat stable to 400 degrees, non hardening, re-positionable for a few hours.

Reading the TM, there is some sort of tool that is inserted under the "claw" to center the timing cover, but I used a perfectly fitting bolt to run around the shaft to center mine. But when I got my pulley tapped on (I have the big four groove pulley), I realized I could have just lightly inserted the pulley to center the cover to center the timing cover. I froze the "key", and heated my pulley to 200 degrees to make the insertion better with a dead blow hammer. I imagine about the forth or fifth time one rebuilds one of these motors it gets faster and easier, and more precise.

I checked my Zip Lock bag for the special bolts/nuts that hold the flywheel (6 bolt) to the crank, and while the bolts are the special shank ones, when the motor was last rebuilt, haphazardly, I might add, three of the nuts are just hardware grade, and not hardened nuts. I am ordering a set of 7/16 ARP nuts for this attachment.

By the way, the M60 was/is a fabulous gun, based on the German MG 35/47 guns of WWII, and you can swap out a hot barrel by simply lifting a small lever and pulling the barrel off, and then inserting a cooler barrel, takes about 5 seconds. Slang for the M60 was "the pig.'

I had my machine shop cut the heads of of some 6 inch bolts threaded to the bell housing, so I can more precisely insert the transmission shaft into my new pilot bearing.

Here are two friends cleaning their weapons at a three US advisory compound, Kien Van, which soon after I was there was over-run by Main Force VC, and thy retreated to their innermost bunker, and ran a 4000 round belt thru this M60 down their entrance, and kept Chuck from getting in. Tuff, tuff, reliable guns, that "pig."

Back is still sore, so just taking it easy today.

NV
[URL=http://s663.photobucket.com/user/h ... .jpg[/img][/url]
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

hey, if you want some hardened studs for the water pump to block, and some Purasil hose for the pump to filler neck, let me know and I'll get them out to you. I tend to buy spares of everything, as sometimes this or that will simply disappear in my garage. Sort of like the socks that vanish in the washing machine. I also have the special clamps for silicone hoses too. They don't tear tear the hose. I have so much stuff left over from my Cobra days, I'll never use it all.

NV
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Thanks for your parts offers Nam Vet!
Today I got 5 man hours logged, swapping in the modern front main seal, gasket, new water pump, front motor mount, support brackets, and set in the radiator and shroud then ran out of daylight. Another couple of hours will have it ready for a road test. Since Saturday means errands, we've got a bunch of shrubs to pick up so my wife has been patiently waiting for me to wrap this up. I'll leave off the winch and bumperettes since I need to reattach some of the captive nuts; this will also save time if I have to go back in for any rework.
More to follow,
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Well after buttoning up the radiator, hoses, and snugging the alternator belt Saturday morning I added coolant then fired it up-coolant came shooting out in a misty mess-I believe from between the block and the new water pump. I was so disappointed, tired and disgusted I gave it a rest (after cleaning up the garage floor) for the remainder of the weekend. I will do some investigating on Wednesday.

By the way, we ended up renting a utility trailer for 4 hours in order to pick up the shrubs...(call me embarrassed...)
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

I have been sorely disappointed in times past when some time-consuming repair or modification of something automotive has failed, so I understand why you just walked away from the mess. Did you take off the rear plate of your waterpump and reseal it? I bought a Permatex gasket product especially for waterpumps, and after sealing both sides of my back gasket and bolting the plate back onto the pump, I also used some longer bolts/nuts to temporarily hold the back plate on all around the pump while the sealant dried. Is your new water tube pushed in far enough?

I also put the small outlet on a fine diamond stone to be sure there was not a nick somewhere or paint on a gasket surface. And then when I put the pump and small outlet on my motor, I again used the special Permatex on all mating surfaces. And used studs not bolts to attach it all to the motor. And used Permatex #2 on the engine side of my studs as a sealant, as they go into the water jacket.

But I have yet to install and start my engine, so I don't know if I too will have a coolant leak up front. Take a break, and then when you have a restored attitude towards your truck to do what is necessary.

NV
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Thanks Nam Vet. I did not pull the pump cover (but probably should have then, and will do so now) since the last thing I expected was flying Prestone. I'll have some time later today to dig a bit since it'll only be 90 degrees instead of the 100 it's been the past two days. The new distro tube is all the way in so I have no clearance issues with that.
More to follow,
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

So after pulling, resealing, changing bolts, etc. I never did get the new water pump to seal properly, so Friday evening I pulled it and reinstalled the old water pump, using Permatex Ultra Black RTV since I was all out of water pump gaskets by the time I completed all the pump installs. I let it sit overnight, then around 11am Saturday morning I poured fresh water in the radiator (to save costly coolant in the event of yet another leak). I was (by this time) pleasantly surprised to find no leak so I cranked it up and topped off the radiator. Still no leak and I am encouraged, so I took off down the 5 mile hill, turned around and climbed back up those 10% grades in order to force the thermostat to open. It did, and my temp gauge topped out right on spec at 180 degrees-30 degrees cooler than usual on the steep climb. I attribute that to replacement of the water distribution tube and flushing out the cruddy old coolant when I started the job.

Tonight I will drive it to work and back, and if there are no issues I will drop out the water and add the Prestone, getting a head start on Winterizing.

For those who watch the news, you may have seen all the wild fires in Utah. One flamed up today about 10 miles from our home and we could see the smoke over in American Fork. WE ARE OK AND IN NO DANGER, and with the M37 off the deadline list we can readily bug out if we have to.

Next, either the PTO seals, or I can have some fun installing my mega air-horn!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

speaking for all of us, we sure hope the fires we are reading about don't come closer. But if you need to evacuate, don't delay the trip, just get on the road.

at least something is working right now for your truck.

NV
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Thanks Nam Vet! I have the truck at work tonight-still chuggin' along....
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

OK, you need to reassure us that the fires we see on the news is still not a threat to your family.

NV
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Thanks for your concern, Nam Vet! We are safe right now, as long as the local idiots don't light off any fireworks close by (prohibited altogether in the city of Draper) but that doesn't stop everyone. Temps will hover around 100 all week long with no rain so I'm keeping the brush on the hill behind our home cut back; also can bug out all the vehicles if necessary to get off the mountain.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W