Update redux-Transmission...

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Cal_Gary

Update redux-Transmission...

Post by Cal_Gary »

My previous post back in February declared my tranny fix complete and working. Alas, that was NOT the case, as a few days later it crapped out again, acting stuck in 2nd gear. So after a lot of hmming and hawing I tackled that sucker again, with Andy, Elwood, and the 8031 manual giving me the courage to tear into it like never before. When all was said and done I replaced the 1st gear along with the input bearing (user error/damage = new one thanks to Charles at M-Series) and checked out every other gear, shim, bearing, seal, etc. I pushed hard to get it back together in time for Armed Forces Day last weekend, and for Memorial Day this weekend. I always park out front with the flags flying and didn't want to miss these dates, as I already missed an entire season of Winter driving! Once reassembled and installed I started slowly, driving it to work 2 or 3 times with my cell phone standing by. Fortunately it's shifting smoothly and quietly and on Saturday I logged about 30 miles running errands around town with no issues.

I have determined that my 1st gear was somehow worn on the main shaft to the point that it was binding up. Fortunately I had a spare gear set I picked up years ago from AB Linn still in the canvas wrappings so I scavenged the 1st gear and dropped it in.

So, if my forum presence seemed to be somewhat limited for the past month, I had a good reason why. :)
Anyway, off the deadline list and getting ready to tackle the front main, water pump, distribution tube, and a different pulley for my alternator, to cure the squealing belt syndrome.

More to follow in a separate thread,
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Re: Update redux-Transmission...

Post by Elwood »

Congrats on the successful repair. First time is the learning curve. :)

When you mentioned the input gear damage, I'm guessing at some point extraction of the main drive gear was attempted without getting the gap tooth lined up precisely with the top of first gear on the countershaft? Been there, too. :oops:

Keep us posted on the next phase.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
Cal_Gary

Re: Update redux-Transmission...

Post by Cal_Gary »

Thanks Elwood,
It was the input bearing-I damaged it during removal since I didn't have a puller, punching a hole in the backing plate when it slipped off the casing as I was driving it out. Bummer and costly but Charles helped me out with a top-notch replacement.

And yes, I wouldn't hesitate to tear into a tranny, now that I've done one successfully, but it was gnawing at me when I was fearful of trying it.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500