vent lines

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Kaegi
SFC
SFC

vent lines

Post by Kaegi »

do the vent lines for the master cylinder and fuel tank have a flexible section between frame and engine? or hard line all the way?
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Re: vent lines

Post by Elwood »

Flexible connections for both lines.

This old thread should help: http://www.g741.org/PHPBB/viewtopic.php ... ead#p50079
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Post by Kaegi »

where do they go? there is nothing left on the truck we are working on. also the part number garbee gives is for 5/16 line. I think the vent lines are 3/16". is it a 5/16 flex line with reducers in the ends?
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

Unfortunately, I'm away from my shop at the moment, so I don't have access to most of my reference sources, but I recall that those replacement lines need adapters. Maybe something about the original hoses being one size different, but no longer available?

The hard lines come along the left frame rail to a spot next to the lower generator bracket, then connect to the two flex hoses, then back to hard lines to run up the left side of the engine block behind the generator, across the cylinder head, and into the intake elbow. The rear mounting stud for the lower generator bracket has an extension on it that allows for a two-line clip to be installed to hold the two hard lines.

Operation & Organizational Maintenance TM 9-8030: check out figs. 68, 69, 85, 109, and 132. Fig. 85 is probably the best view of the flex hoses.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

they are 3/16 lines, I bought a coil of this from FedHill, plus an assortment of connectors, and recently did my own vent (and fuel and brake lines). The 3/16 in CuNickel is easy to bend with your hands, and the armor coil is available from various sources, Ebay was by far the cheapest. If you need any pictures of the routing, I took lots as I went along. I had my local heavy industrial plumbing and hose shop make up two fittings for me, then put a foot or so of 3/16 rubber line on each, so when I put my motor back in, I don't have to be exact as to the length of hard line from my frame, and will just use small clamps to fasten the necessary line from the rubber line to the frame line, cutting off what I don't need. Let me know if you need any routing pictures.

here: [URL=http://s663.photobucket.com/user/h ... .jpg[/img][/url]
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

Kaegi, I just went out and looked over my take-off vent (3/16) /brake (1/4 in) and fuelines (5/16), and if you want, I can pull off the armor, wash it, soak it in Ospho, and coil it up and mail it to you and I have left over end fittings, if you need any. Let me know if I can help with parts or pictures in any way.

NV
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Post by Kaegi »

thanks for all the replies. answers our questions. I will let you know on the lines nam vet