Aircraft switch for fuel pump

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Aircraft switch for fuel pump

Post by NAM VET »

I have quite an assortment of "parts" left over from the decade I relentlessly modified my former Superformance Cobra, and after running a protected wire from my newly installed 24 volt fuel pump, I decided to upgrade the dash switch. So, got out my box of spare switches, and then installed an Aircraft safety toggle switch on the dash. I soldered ring connectors to the two wires, to fuel pump and from fused 24 volt line, then also crimped them, just to be sure. Ran the wires carefully around behind the dash, and then with some patience put in an American metal two post toggle, and then put the flip-protector on, and snugged it all down. i don't have a fuel pump disconnect in case of an accident, so hopefully I can swipe my hand and turn off my fuel pump should that emergency occur. I may add a G force disconnect to the frame and lines later.

I have owned my M42 for ten months now, but have only driven it something less than a hundred miles, and none since last fall, as I had to deal with several medical issues. In the time I have had my motor out for a rebuild, I have done this and that to my truck, some cosmetics, and lots of things necessary to reinstall my motor. Was by the machine shop yesterday, and they said my block was easy to over-bore the liners .030 out, now to do the new seats and he will install my new valves/springs and such, and rough set the clearances. I hope to have it back in my garage very soon. Crank is done. He will rotate and static balance it before it comes back to me.

A bit tired now, so will take a nap and then I have an evening competition shoot this eve, we have one every Tuesday eve. I shoot a variety of pistols, tonight one of my custom Browning High Powers.

all the best, guys....
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Re: Aircraft switch for fuel pump

Post by NAM VET »

and here is my fuel pump switch:
[URL=http://s663.photobucket.com/user/h ... .jpg[/img][/url]
W_A_Watson_II
SFC
SFC

Post by W_A_Watson_II »

NamVet and I use the same switch. I like the ability to kill it quickly, and it gives me the ability to keep the fuel pump off while re-starting the truck after it stalls and is a little flooded. As soon as she starts I can then turn the pump on and have the truck back on the go quicker. I usually don't have that third foot to hold the accelerator to the floor to clear a flooded situation while on the trail as I need the hold the brake and clutch.

Thanks,
Will
1946 Dodge Power Wagon
1953 Dodge M37 - "Frankenstein"
My 1953 Dodge M37 WEB Site
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Post by ZGjethro »

I'm using a switch which looks the same, minus the cover. I also don't have an oil pressure disconnect in place,but it is on the list of things to do

To operate my truck there are three switches
1. Turn on battery negative disconnect
2. Turn on ignition
3. Turn on fuel pump
I often get a quarter mile down the road and the truck stalls since I forgot the fuel pump
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

I won't use an electric pump in my truck but I have wired them into some friends vehicles. I do it in the following manor.
The pump is run through an oil pressure switch. No oil pressure, no pump.
In order to facilitate starting there is a momentary push button that will run the pump.
So, the start sequence is close battery disconnect.
Turn on Master switch
Push button until pump comes to pressure. (About 3 seconds at worst)
Start vehicle.
If the engine stalls, the pump turns off.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
isaac_alaska
SFC
SFC

Post by isaac_alaska »

W_A_Watson_II wrote: I usually don't have that third foot to hold the accelerator to the floor to clear a flooded situation while on the trail as I need the hold the brake and clutch.

left foot spread across clutch and brake, right heel holding the pedal to the floor, right toe taps the starter. The old "make my truck run" dance :)
Isaac
Fairbanks, AK
Civilian WM300 on DC3 tires
'52 M37 on 11x16 Michelin
'52 M37 on Apple R-1 tractor tires
Photo Gallery
W_A_Watson_II
SFC
SFC

Post by W_A_Watson_II »

isaac_alaska wrote:left foot spread across clutch and brake, right heel holding the pedal to the floor, right toe taps the starter. The old "make my truck run" dance :)
Yea been there it's just easier and seems safer on the side of a hill or up a boulder to not shuffle the feet. :lol:
Thanks,
Will
1946 Dodge Power Wagon
1953 Dodge M37 - "Frankenstein"
My 1953 Dodge M37 WEB Site