Charging Question

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

NCM
PFC
PFC

Charging Question

Post by NCM »

I noticed that after I drive around for a while (15-20 minutes), the battery gauge slowly creeps down out of the green onto the border line between green and yellow. Is this normal under operation? I hooked a charger up and both batteries were indicated at ~75%. I have the 100amp system.
isaac_alaska
SFC
SFC

Re: Charging Question

Post by isaac_alaska »

does the 100amp system have a solidstate regulator or the old coil and relay type? it sounds like either your regulator or generator is only producing power when it's cold. at least mine, stays 100% even during long drives.
Isaac
Fairbanks, AK
Civilian WM300 on DC3 tires
'52 M37 on 11x16 Michelin
'52 M37 on Apple R-1 tractor tires
Photo Gallery
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Post by ZGjethro »

I have the original 25amp generator, but changed out the regulator to a solid state one and went to the colored charging gauge instead of the original amp guage. My truck is at the top of the yellow with the ignition on but truck not running. When running it is always mid green.

I think you have a definite charging issue. I'm betting it is the voltage regulator
NCM
PFC
PFC

Post by NCM »

IMG_2443.JPG
IMG_2443.JPG (135.54 KiB) Viewed 1170 times
I've been tied up with work travel, but finally back home and had a chance to take a picture of the regulator. It's made out of plastic, which makes me think it is newer. Any thoughts on what type it is?

Another thing I noticed is that with the ignition on but engine not running, I can hear/see a spark occasionally jumping around in the alternator.
isaac_alaska
SFC
SFC

Post by isaac_alaska »

i've never seen a plastic one, but i've never seen a 100amp system in person either. it's smaller than the big original ones so that's a good sign that it's a solid state system. it might be worth just checking the connections and making sure that there isn't a bit of corrosion going on, the solid state regulators don't usually go bad. at least not part way...it's usually all or nothing when they go
Isaac
Fairbanks, AK
Civilian WM300 on DC3 tires
'52 M37 on 11x16 Michelin
'52 M37 on Apple R-1 tractor tires
Photo Gallery
Sal
SFC
SFC

Post by Sal »

[quote]Another thing I noticed is that with the ignition on but engine not running, I can hear/see a spark occasionally jumping around in the alternator.

Sparks jumping across a Gen or Alternator is not a good thing. I wouldnt run the truck until you find out what going on...

Sal
:mrgreen:
1954 M37 WO/W
1969 M101A1
1967 M416
DCook
CPL
CPL

Post by DCook »

I have the 100 amp system in my 51. It has the same regulator as yours, which is a solid state. The 1/8" plug above and between the two harness plugs is an access port for charging adjustment. Spec calls for it to be adjusted to approx. 27.5 volts. Carefully turn the adjustment with a small screw driver after removing the plug. Measure it at the batteries with a volt meter, as you make adjustments. Since the 100 amp system uses an alternator, the fields are rotating, and use slip rings for the brushes. There should be virtually no internal sparking from normal charging operation. Mine is somewhat noisy when charging low batteries, but it gets less as the batteries top off.
MVPA Member #23780
1942 Chev. 1 1/2 Ton Dump Truck
1951 M37 W/W, & Field Radio
1953 M43
1958 Navy CJ3B