Front axel reassembly

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Dutch
PVT
PVT

Front axel reassembly

Post by Dutch »

So I am in the process of rebuilding my front axel, got all the bearings and seal and diff out. I ordered a set of NOS gaskets from MWM, I get them in the mail get everything ready to reassemble and I realize that when I pulled the diff there was only one gasket where the ring and pinion bolt up and in the kit there is 3 gaskets???? So how many is a man to use? And of course the cork gaskets for the knuckle fell apart in my hand when I opened the package NOS life problems lol. Thanks for the insight Guys!!
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Re: Front axel reassembly

Post by ashyers »

1 gasket for the R&P w/ some anerobic sealant and RTV for the flanges worked for me. Make sure you get a nice ring of sealant around the R&P studs and go sparingly on the RTV :) .

Andy
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Post by Kaegi »

yes one gasket. they put 3 in the package because in early 1943 the WC 3/4 tons switched from the 8 3/4 diff to the 9 5/8 diff (M37 is the same) and they would upgrade the 8 3/4 trucks to 9 5/8 diff by replacing the studs to the next size up and you had to run 3 gaskets to keep the side gear alignment perfect for the axle shafts. Those NOS kits are all WW2 pretty much. Vintage Power Wagons has NEW flange seal gaskets
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Post by Kaegi »

the NOS gaskets don't need sealant. none have ever leaked that I have installed