Fuel tank straps

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Dutch
PVT
PVT

Fuel tank straps

Post by Dutch »

Doesn't anyone know what size bolt and how long it is spost to be. The one for the fuel tank straps in the rear of the truck. All I can find is 7/16-20 but can't find out how long it is. Thanks
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Re: Fuel tank straps

Post by NAM VET »

I have my bed off, and will check it out for you with pictures tomorrow.

NV
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

I just went through all 5 if my manuals and can't find it. The front is studs welded to the strap. The rear are long enough to go through the two straps, the rear crossmember, washer and nut with about 3 threads extending through the nut.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

getting ready for church, but went out and took a few photos. The front is a strap, which then bolts to a flange of the rear crossmember of the frame. The bolt is inserted from the bottom, looks to be a 3/8 diameter, into a weld nut, so probably a fine thread. It is about 1 and 3/4 inches long, leaving a few threads, but it might be a lot easier to use a longer bolt to "get it started" while holding the tank up, say 2 or 2 and 1/2 inches. These are pictures of the front from above, the rear from above, and the rear from below. If you need more, let me know.

NV
[URL=http://s663.photobucket.com/user/h ... .jpg[/img][/url]

Dutch
PVT
PVT

Post by Dutch »

Ok thanks guys!!!
Gerry
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Gerry »

My parts manual shows group 0306 7/16 -20 X 1 3/4
Hope this helps
Gerry

53 M37
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Those bolts aren't so easy to install if the bed is on the truck, or at least mine were not. I made a pusher bar and used a floor jack to manipulate mine into place and will post a picture later today to save you some pain and suffering.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Tom P
CPL
CPL

Post by Tom P »

Just use a little longer bolt.
Worked for me, saved a headache.
TGP
"47" WDX WW
"52" M37 WW
"54" Willys M38A1
"65" M35A1 WW
To Many Others
http://www.g741.org/photogallery/main.p ... temId=2019
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

if the six bolts that hold the bed to the frame are not rusted too badly, it is maybe a half hour to remove their nuts to have the bed off. The front four can be reached by sitting on a roller stool with a socket wrench, the rear two are hidden behind the rear tow hooks, they take a big box wrench, to get them off to reach the two rear bed bolt nuts. Then I used my new engine hoist and ratchet straps hooked around the side tarp hooks, and raised it right off. I had scrounged two 4X4 timbers to set it down on, so I didn't bend the hold down bolts. When I go to put it back on, I will add a strap from the rear drop gate to the hoist hook too, as it weighs a lot and causes the rear of the bed to drop down, so I can raise it and lower it in a more level fashion. No way I could have replaced my fuel and brake and vent lines from below. Nor put in an electric fuel pump either.

just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

I replaced all the lines (Brake and Fuel) from under the truck and not on stands. I have had the tank in and out twice. I've never pulled the bed. It wouldn't be easier around here as I have no gantry to lift it with.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

Unfortunately, I get spatial disorientation craning my head and neck this way and that looking up under my truck. Even as a kid, I could never take my eyes off the road to look at a map or read, even for a moment. About 20 or so years ago, had a great run on the winding and curving back roads in the Ozarks, and after about twenty minutes I was so disoriented, found a hotel in a tiny town, as I had to sleep for hours to get over it, and I couldn't even find my room so had to have the clerk walk me down to it. Just one of those ailments I have to work around. Like a few others.....

Pretty warm today here in Upstate SC.

all the best...

NV
Dutch
PVT
PVT

Post by Dutch »

Thanks for the help guys! My bed is off so hopefully won't be to bad!