No Fire on cylinders 5 or 6

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

isaac_alaska
SFC
SFC

No Fire on cylinders 5 or 6

Post by isaac_alaska »

Rebuilt the carb and had it running last night, it sounds like it's missing slightly on a couple cylinders and the thermal camera shows that 5 and 6 aren't pulling their weight. I need to do a compression test, as it could be a head gasket leaking between those two cylinders. Is there any other common things to look for? would a vacuum leak between the intake and block be able to affect just two cylinders?
Isaac
Fairbanks, AK
Civilian WM300 on DC3 tires
'52 M37 on 11x16 Michelin
'52 M37 on Apple R-1 tractor tires
Photo Gallery
Carter
1SG
1SG

Re: No Fire on cylinders 5 or 6

Post by Carter »

isaac_alaska wrote:would a vacuum leak between the intake and block be able to affect just two cylinders?
Possible but not likely to happen suddenly, spray some WD40 around the manifold/ gasket interface with the engine idling and see if the RPMs increase which would indicate a likely leak there.
I would first do a compression test just to eliminate the blown head gasket possibility.
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Each runner of the intake feeds two cylinders, so a bad leak could affect a pair. A head gasket is more likely.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
Marmalute
PFC
PFC

Post by Marmalute »

I had a similar situation with one of mine, which had not been run for many years. It was (as I am sure many would guess) sticking valves! Intakes.
Compression tests are good, followed by leak down test to determine location of compression loss, if need be.
Good luck with that, and let us know what you find.
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Post by Kaegi »

also make sure vacuum hose for wipers is hooked up. when not it really affects 5 and 6 badly because the port is on that runner
isaac_alaska
SFC
SFC

Post by isaac_alaska »

i do need to cap that off better, since right now it just runs to the vacuum pump and there's nothing connected. i have it capped/plugged at the inlet to the vacuum pump but there's a chance it's not a perfect seal
Isaac
Fairbanks, AK
Civilian WM300 on DC3 tires
'52 M37 on 11x16 Michelin
'52 M37 on Apple R-1 tractor tires
Photo Gallery