Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

w30bob
1SG
1SG

What's the Best Speedo Cable Lube?

Post by w30bob »

Howdy Boys,

I was just poking around the web to see what the general consensus was on what's the best lube for a speedo cable. As usual, there are two answers. White Lithium grease say the old timers and dry film lubricant mixed with alcohol to carry it to the full length of the cable say the younger crowd. Folks in colder climates say the grease will get hard, but no on really had anything bad to say about the dry film lubes. So I'm curious what you guys think. Any recommendations on brand for a dry film lubricant?

thanks,
bob
just me
1SG
1SG

Re: What's the Best Speedo Cable Lube?

Post by just me »

I have always just pulled the core out, cleaned it and pulled it through powdered graphite. (Lock lubricant powder.)
Last edited by just me on Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

I've always used white lithium, so I must be an old guy. When I rebuilt my NP200, I added a zerk fitting to the speedo cable "nut" to grease the bottom end in place.

“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hey Ol' Guy............great idea! I guess they're right.......with age comes wisdom.

I believe currently in the US.......the break point for being considered an "old guy" is anything past 38 years old. Meaning half the population is either older or younger. That means I've been an "old guy" for quite a few years now. :mrgreen:

Later old folks,
bob
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

We've tried numerous products including both that are mentioned here. Personally I don't like the graphite, doesn't last long until the lubing effect is gone and you keep doing it over & over again frequently. White lithium works really well in our area, but I can see the adverse affect in colder climates. I like pulling the core cable out, coating well, then reinstalling. The folks who sell the new cable assemblies with the plastic junk housing claim they are supposedly self lubricating, any petroleum product ruins the (probably Chinese) plastic inner liner promptly. We never use these, but go to a reputable supplier of quality cable products who can still build a premium quality assembly. This like many other products is a dying art in both quality components and workmanship due to the fact that the vast majority of speedometers today are electronic and require no mechanical drive. Back on subject; if you are in an area that gets cold enough so white lithium does not work well, there are other products out there designed to stay put and do a good lubricating job, while not becoming too stiff because of cold. All these factors considered, obviously there is no 1 answer that applies in all situations. Best answer I could offer is do the research where you live through reputable lubricant suppliers, key word here is REPUTABLE. A few sources of good information and people who genuinely care enough to help someone out with a special need still exist, even where they don't stand to make thousands for spending a little time to help someone solve a problem. Sometimes things sound so trivial; truth is you never know how big that problem may be for the person on the other end. I still smile when someone calls with an issue, and I know the answer or can at least offer some suggestion to help them get headed in the right direction. Self satisfaction when we are able to help someone in need always seems to make the day go better, even when you know you won't make a dime.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Post by ZGjethro »

I haven't touched my speedometer since I bought the truck in 2009. The speedometer has always fluctuated bit. Would lubing help, or should I get a new cable and housing?
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

ZGjethro wrote:I haven't touched my speedometer since I bought the truck in 2009. The speedometer has always fluctuated bit. Would lubing help, or should I get a new cable and housing?
Usually depends on the condition of the cable housing liner. If it has not gotten past the point of no return as far as interior wear is concerned, lubricating it with a lubricant that is suitable to your climate may very well take care of the issue for you.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com