Cab Spring Bolts

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

jrodjared
PFC
PFC

Cab Spring Bolts

Post by jrodjared »

Does anyone know where I can buy these bolts with springs in them? They were for securing the cab to the frame.
CabSprings.jpg
CabSprings.jpg (141.93 KiB) Viewed 2745 times
Here I have a long and a short one. It's hard to tell but I think the long one goes on the rear and the short one on the front, one on each side? Is that right?

Vintage says they don't sell anything like it and I should just use a plain bolt. I'm calling BS. Thoughts?
Without a plan there's no attack. No attack, no victory.
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Re: Cab Spring Bolts

Post by RMS »

you are correct that two long bolts go in the rear. the sort one goes on the passenger side front and fixed (no spring) on the front driver side due to the death shaft steering column.

I would replace the shat grade stock bolt with a grade 8 and drill a new hole for the pin. if your short on springs a valve spring may do the trick.
.............................. use it ...............
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Just use a flange bolt or bolt and washer. You can determine (well enough) the spring rate by measurements. Replace the springs with die springs from your local industrial supply. You can stack two short ones with a washer between them.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
isaac_alaska
SFC
SFC

Post by isaac_alaska »

another great source for hardware like this is usually mcmaster-carr
i'd be surprised if you can't find something that will fit the bill nicely
Isaac
Fairbanks, AK
Civilian WM300 on DC3 tires
'52 M37 on 11x16 Michelin
'52 M37 on Apple R-1 tractor tires
Photo Gallery
jrodjared
PFC
PFC

Post by jrodjared »

Sweet thanks for the placement info guys. It's been so long since I had the truck in one piece it's hard to remember how it all goes!
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Post by Kaegi »

if the nuts screw on fine and not rusted on the shaft why replace? those bolts are huge and never fail. they didn't have the modern grading system back then but those bolts would probably test at about a grade 5.
jrodjared
PFC
PFC

Post by jrodjared »

The bolts were all around rough with the heads practically pitted down to nothing. Since I was in there I wanted to make them look somewhat uniform. First I tried Home Depot which was a waste of time, then I went to a local fastener supply place. Of course they had what I needed.

2x 8"x1/2" bolts with crown nuts
2x 5"x5/8" bolts with crown nuts
2" and 1.5" washers
Springs as needed
Cotter pins as needed

I was able to reuse the springs I had. They were a bit pitted but still serviceable.
IMG_0604a.jpg
IMG_0604a.jpg (80.85 KiB) Viewed 2642 times
IMG_0607a.jpg
IMG_0607a.jpg (131.52 KiB) Viewed 2642 times
IMG_0609a.jpg
IMG_0609a.jpg (103.55 KiB) Viewed 2642 times
I haven't installed them yet so I can't confirm that it's going to work, but they look identical to what I took off so I don't see why it won't. I'll take a pic of it once they are in.
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Post by Kaegi »

does m37 use a wood block under the front left mount with no spring like the WCs? what do they use under the rest of the mounts?
jrodjared
PFC
PFC

Post by jrodjared »

Not quite sure, maybe someone can else can chime in here? I actually have a block of wood under there now. Not sure what is supposed to be there.
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Look in the body and power train manual. It shows all the mounts and hardware.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
jrodjared
PFC
PFC

Post by jrodjared »

IMG_0615a.jpg
IMG_0615a.jpg (79.97 KiB) Viewed 2590 times
OK so after looking in the manual I found this nifty little diagram. I forgot that when I talked to Vintage about the bolts which they didn't sell, they did recommend these rubber pads (where it says B-Pad). The manual calls for one on each, but they said best to double up. Figured what the heck can't hurt anything. I did have to widen the hole a bit for the bolts to fit through.

So far I've got three of the four installed. They went in pretty easy. I should get the last one done tomorrow. Hope this helps someone down the road!
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Post by Kaegi »

nice diagram thanks. answers my questions. I have a hunk of conveyor belt I cut stuff like that out of. really tough stuff.
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

Hmmm...I was checking the cab mounting bolts and three springs in my pile of parts that used to be an M37, and noticed that I have a similar arrangement of two springs that match the description in the ORD 9 SNL parts book, and which were on the rear mounts if my memory is correct. But the third spring is larger in diameter (1.290") and slightly shorter(3-5/8" uncompressed). Not sure about the bolts, as I had to destroy two of them to remove the cab, but the two remaining ones are long and match the dimensions from the parts book.

Except the the book (section 1801) shows that all three of the springs and associated bolts should be the same. And yet, fig. 211 in TM 9-8030 (the one that jrodjared posted a photo of) seems to show different size springs between the rears and the right front mounts. So which one is correct?
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
06boblee
SFC
SFC

Post by 06boblee »

DSC00809 (Small).JPG
DSC00809 (Small).JPG (117.93 KiB) Viewed 2424 times
All 3 of mine are the same size, '54.
'54 M37 wew
MVPA #16921
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

Thanks for posting that photo. Those springs look new!
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776