Differential removal

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Dutch
PVT
PVT

Differential removal

Post by Dutch »

So I have been rebuilding my front axel, completely tore the knuckles apart new seals and goodies to go back in. My question is how heavy and hard is it to remove the differential and carrier assembly? Once I remove the bolt that hold it in will the ring and pinion and shins and stuff fall out? I'm a one man show and not sure the best way to try to remove it by myself. The axel is still in the truck
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Re: Differential removal

Post by ashyers »

The pumpkin is around 120# so you don't want to pull in unless you have a jack ready! If you have the axles out it's no big deal to pull the 3rd member, just be careful.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Andy is right; use a tranny or floor jack for support if you have one.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
W_A_Watson_II
SFC
SFC

Post by W_A_Watson_II »

Dutch,

Yep as others have said easy, just darn heavy laying under a truck. I've found with a normal Jack or even my trans adapter the differential is still hard to keep from rolling off or aligned. I've had mine out way too many times, and finally built a dedicated jig to use on my floor jack.

Thanks,
Will
1946 Dodge Power Wagon
1953 Dodge M37 - "Frankenstein"
My 1953 Dodge M37 WEB Site
dmowrey3@comcast.net
PFC
PFC

Post by dmowrey3@comcast.net »

W_A_Watson_II wrote:Dutch,

Yep as others have said easy, just darn heavy laying under a truck. I've found with a normal Jack or even my trans adapter the differential is still hard to keep from rolling off or aligned. I've had mine out way too many times, and finally built a dedicated jig to use on my floor jack.

Great Idea !!! I just changed out my rear and pretty much man handled the thing out and back in ,,,,, not a job for the weak lol
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Post by Kaegi »

its a drop out unit which means no parts fall out when you take the diff out. the whole assembly comes out. always use NOS diff gasket if yours is not re usable. the modern replacements are NOT the correct thickness. Thickness is important because it keeps the side gears perfectly aligned to accept the axle shafts. All the suppliers usually have the NOS gasket kits.