Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Paddyofurniture
SGT
SGT

Best M37 batteries

Post by Paddyofurniture »

Best M37 batteries

My batteries are shot in my M37. What is a good replacement and where do you get them? Does anyone offer slightly used batteries?

Paddy
jordankjcm
CPL
CPL

Re: Best M37 batteries

Post by jordankjcm »

Hey Paddy....

I am getting ready to purchase two 2HN's from the East Penn rep. He'll drop them off at a Gastonia generator shop so I don't have to drive to High Point. Maybe he'll give us a better deal if we buy 4 :idea:
Paddyofurniture
SGT
SGT

jordankjcm,

Thank you for the offer but I am just look at prices at this time.

Paddy
vargaspj
PFC
PFC

Post by vargaspj »

I've put about 3 sets of the US2HN in my truck and I'm getting damn tired of replacing them.
I just replaced them with two 51R batteries. They fit in the battery tray with the original battery hold-down very nicely.
They were about $84.00 bucks each at Kragen/O'Reilly.
8543bob
SSGT
SSGT

Post by 8543bob »

Good AM,
I have been using Wal-Mart batteries in many marine & auto applications. They hold up well and Wal-Mart offers a three year full replacement wananty. Cant beat that. I use the largest size I can fit in each installation. There top of the line battery cost about $79. On my personal boat, powered by twin detroit 6-71TI, I use two batteries per engine hooked in parallel. I am on my third year with this set. BOB
Paddyofurniture
SGT
SGT

Thank you all for your help.

Paddy
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

The military has been changing over to Optima Red top batteries where the 2hn would have gone. (ok mostly on gen sets and things like that.) but it's a good battery if your willing to pay the price.
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
topellis
CPL
CPL

Post by topellis »

I have 51Rs in mine. The 2HNs are the same in the M151 if I am not mistaken and they were pieces of crap if they are the same as they were in the 80's. If you didn't get it started right away.... you might as well get out the jumper cables. They didn't have near enough amperage. If you are restoring a museum piece by all means get them. I wouldn't if I planned on driving it much. My 2 cents.

Mark
Mark Ellis
1953 M37 WOW
1967 M101A1
NRA Life Member
USMC Retired
LegionPiper
PFC
PFC

Post by LegionPiper »

Hey there Folks,

Reviving the Battery Conversation once again.

I've seen threads where some folks prefer the YW51R Optima Yellow Tops.

I purchased a Canadian Tire Eliminator ELU51R AUT ( Ultra AGM ) battery for one side of my 24 v line.
It's a really small battery, however, it's cranking power is unbelievable, especially in the winter.

What do other folks recommend ?
Is the 51 R the preferred battery format ?

Thanks
LegionPiper
PFC
PFC

Post by LegionPiper »

Hi folks,

Well, Canadian Tire have stopped selling their version of the 51R in the AGM package.
So I am looking for another replacement. The 51R comes in several different versions of Cold Cranking Amps and Cranking Amps.
I imagine it's better to have a matched pair so that charging is even ?

Does anyone know if there is a ceiling we should not be going over ( Cranking Amps ) to protect downstream electrical loads ?

thanks
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Whatever batteries you can fit are fine. There is no such thing as too big as far as downstream equipment. A device will only draw what Ohms Law states it will draw regardless of source capacity. Think about it, your house is connected to the grid and yet your 100 watt lamp still only can draw .85 amps at 117 volts. doesn't matter that you have a million amps available.
Now, the other side of the equation is your ability to fully charge extremely large battery banks. (But will not be a problem even with a 25amp generator and the largest batteries you could fit under the seat.)
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"