Hand brake flange

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Rick C
SSGT
SSGT

Hand brake flange

Post by Rick C »

I just disassembled teh handbrake assembly and cleaned it up as well as new seal and band. When I disassembled it the slotted nut wasn't tightened down on the flange. Is this right? I recall a torque value somewhere but can't find it now. BTW whoever replaced that oil seal before me dinged up the housing pretty good......
Thanks
Rick
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Re: Hand brake flange

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Rick C wrote:I just disassembled teh handbrake assembly and cleaned it up as well as new seal and band. When I disassembled it the slotted nut wasn't tightened down on the flange. Is this right? I recall a torque value somewhere but can't find it now. BTW whoever replaced that oil seal before me dinged up the housing pretty good......
Thanks
Rick
If it runs loose, you can expect bearing damage in short order. If you found it that way, the first thing I would suggest is pull that unit from the case and disassemble for a bearing and internal component inspection. There will be damage to the bearings at least if it went on for long. The flange nut torque spec is 140-160 ft lbs. If the housing is damaged in the seal area, the leak you were attempting to fix may have been coming from outside the seal case rather than at the seal companion flange mating surface.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Rick C
SSGT
SSGT

Re: Hand brake flange

Post by Rick C »

Thanks Charles. Going to just replace the bearing.... don't know what it was torqued to but sure came off nice abd easy. As far as the seal area..it had some marks along the edge that looked like someone pried the seal out. I cleaned it up with emory cloth and put some permatex around the new seal.....only time will tell.