Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

mike_m
PVT
PVT

dist cap question

Post by mike_m »

Guys,

I decided to replace my distributor cap because the old one has a crack at the end of the tab where spring goes into the coil. I put it on and had no spark. WTH? I then put my old one back on and the truck started right up. I should have stopped, but then decided to try the new one again and still no spark. So I then put my old cap in again and it too now has no spark. This is really frustrating me. I'm wondering if I'm not getting voltage out of the coil to the rotor, or if the rotor is not getting good connection on the inside of the distributor cap. Is there any tricks on how I can test if my rotor is getting a good connection? Anyway I can tell my new distributor cap is good? I do know that I have connectivity between where the coil touches distributor cap and where the rotor would touch it.

I do have the sealing washers that go between the distr. cap and its housing.

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Mike M
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Re: dist cap question

Post by w30bob »

Hi Mike,

Just a couple thoughts for you............you said you know you have continuity between the little spring and the center electrode of the cap........but do you still have it when you wiggle or press on the spring, or put pressure on the center electrode? I'd check those conditions as well. Next, are you sure you didn't disturb any of the wires inside the distributor when putting on and taking off the caps? I'd just check those guys out as you touch them. Same goes for the 24V supply wire to the distributor. That sucker could be on it's last leg and making intermittent contact at some point. It's frustrating as hell chasing down electrical gremlins, sorry I can't be of more help.

regards,
bob
mike_m
PVT
PVT

Re: dist cap question

Post by mike_m »

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the advice. I recently installed an electronic ignition module and vehicle started up with old distributor cap. I still want to see if my "new" distributor cap is good or bad. U R probably right that I disturb the wiring and that's what was causing some of the issues with the points system. I'll follow up if I find anything else.

Thanks

Mm