Electric Fuel Pump location?

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Murf
SSGT
SSGT

Electric Fuel Pump location?

Post by Murf »

So i have my 24v pump and a filter to catch tank garbage BEFORE it hits the vanes...Where are you guys mounting them? I know it needs to be as close to the tank as possible. I have to incorporate some flexible fuel hose in the process for the filter..any places better or worse to use it? Flex from the tank to the filter, then a little piece from the filter to the pump, then tap hard line from the pump into the stock lines? I have extra fuel tubing and a the flaring kit to make custom pieces also. My plan was to run power from the ignition switch. Any better ideas? My stock mechanical pump is just a shell for looks with a line bridging the in/out fittings so the pump needs to be on all the time.
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Re: Electric Fuel Pump location?

Post by ZGjethro »

I have my 24v Facet pump on the back of the cross member just in front of the tank. The steel line is cut and a piece of fuel injection hose is clamped onto it there. There isn't any filter from the tank to the pump, and there is no filter in the tank. I need to put an inline or spin on filter before the pump. I have a new glass filter at the filter location on the voltage regulator, and my "temporary" fuel line goes over the engine head straight to the carb. The mechanical fuel pump has been removed and plated off.

Lots of guys will recommend using an oil pressure switch setup so the voltage for the fuel pump will be cut if the engine stalls. If you were in an accident, gas would not continue to pump. I have not set mine up this way yet. Also, the ignition circuit is the only circuit on the truck with no fusing. If you use this circuit I'd suggest putting a fuse on it for the fuel pump part. I nearly burned my truck up when a wire tapped into the ignition circuit for LED fog/running lights shorted to ground and would not shut off. In about five seconds all the insulation was burned off of it.
sturmtyger380
SFC
SFC

Post by sturmtyger380 »

It's my plan to use an electric pump as well. It will be awhile before I get to it.

A friend of mine has one and each time he turns his switch on you can hear the pump and it makes a good bit of noise. I am not sure if his is bolted directly to the frame or not. Has anyone put something like a rubber isolating pad to help with it not sounding so loud?

I know, I know once the truck starts you can't hear anything over that water pump fan! :lol:
47 CJ2A
53 M38A1
52 M37
51 M38
67 M416
?? M101A1
milstencil
CPL
CPL

Post by milstencil »

This is the one I have: http://www.ebay.com/itm/24V-Electric-Fu ... Swys5WWHJ4
The guys price is CRAZY :!: You can pick them up for about $40.00.
Nice and quiet, filter in the base.
I located near the tank and put a RACOR filter on the out side for filtration.
Rick
Resident of the Communist state of Massachusetts, home of failed
health care and failed gun control! See what the Democrats can do
when they control both houses.
http://www.militarystencils.com
Chris P
CPL
CPL

Post by Chris P »

My Facet pump is mounted on a horizontal piece of metal that is bolted to the frame. It is at a natural break in the fuel line near the rear wheel.
Chris P
1954 M37
MVPA
MHCC
Murf
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Murf »

Well, I also found the best place for me was the same cross bar just in front of the tank. (thanks ZG). The Facet pump is flare fitted to the hardline just as it turns to go up the frame rail. I cut that line and the "armor" spring covering and put a flarenut on it...It looks pretty tidy. I Installed the replaceable filter with 2 large stainless hose clamps. It seems pretty tight. Only thing left is decide what tubing I want to do from the tank to the filter. I'm leaning toward using as much hardline as I can and bending it right up to the filter then only having to use a small rubber piece from the tube to the filter. This would let me replace the filter relatively easily. Should I ground the pump where it's mounted or run a second wire with the power line somewhere else?
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Where it is mounted should be fine.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
Murf
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Murf »

Chris P wrote:My Facet pump is mounted on a horizontal piece of metal that is bolted to the frame. It is at a natural break in the fuel line near the rear wheel.
Chris, does your Facet pump make ANY noise or vibration? Mine does not and the only time I see the fuel in the clear hose move is when I turn it off??? It did get very hot, so I I shut it down (if it was actually on) I "injected" gas with a large syringe into the line and have gas all the way up to the area of the stock filter (now bypassed) to push out as much air as possible. It's definitely not pushing any fuel on a constant basis.
Murf
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Murf »

My pump is non-functioning :evil:
isaac_alaska
SFC
SFC

Post by isaac_alaska »

getting hot is a good sign of a locked rotor, if you have a picture or a part # i could tell you if it's a rotary vane type or impulse type. rotary are fairly low torque and wouldn't take much stuck in the pump to lock it up and cause heating like you're experiencing.
Isaac
Fairbanks, AK
Civilian WM300 on DC3 tires
'52 M37 on 11x16 Michelin
'52 M37 on Apple R-1 tractor tires
Photo Gallery
Murf
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Murf »

I have this one (not from this seller though):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-24V-FACET-S ... 4187b1016b

With it being a low psi I have no doubt it is low torque. I'm ticked because the pump is new and not working..
isaac_alaska
SFC
SFC

Post by isaac_alaska »

That one is impulse type, so from what I understand there is no rotor that can get blocked, instead it has a small solenoid and a diaphragm that pulses and pumps fuel. If it's making no noise, it's not switching. They're loud when they run. I would definitely send it back and ask for a replacement and see if this time they'll test it before they send it out, just connect to power and make sure it makes a bunch of noise before they send it.
Isaac
Fairbanks, AK
Civilian WM300 on DC3 tires
'52 M37 on 11x16 Michelin
'52 M37 on Apple R-1 tractor tires
Photo Gallery
Chris P
CPL
CPL

Post by Chris P »

Sorry for my delay in responding, but Issac is correct. My pump makes a very audible noise when I switch it on.
Chris P
1954 M37
MVPA
MHCC
Murf
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Murf »

Thanks guys. Ordering another.