winter grill cover

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Cav Trooper
SGT
SGT

winter grill cover

Post by Cav Trooper »

I bought a NOS heater kit from Midwest a few years ago and installed it. I never got around to installing the grill cover. I was wondering at what temp I can run with the grill cover on with the flap open. The truck runs cool with the 160 thermostat and never had an over heat problem, I don't intend to create one either. Just thought it's another piece of gear for the truck. I won't be running it in this 90 deg weather.
HHT 2nd ACR
Merrell Barracks, Nuremberg, Ger.
1967/68
71st AHC, 14th AHB, Americal Div.
Chu-Lai, S. VietNam
Cav Trooper
52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Re: winter grill cover

Post by 52 M-42 »

The grille cover (winterfront) is usually only installed when the temperature is consistently below freezing. One reason for this is that the winterfront will rot and the hardware will rust if there is moisture in the air. The winterfront is also really only useful when the temperature gets down below 0 degrees F; above that an engine protected with anti-freeze will operate normally.

I got a few of these winterfronts, and it is always on my list of things to do in the winter (install the mounting loops), but I never get around to it because it seldom gets cold enough to need it here and I'm sure not driving the truck anywhere when it is that cold (I've gotten to be an old sissy with no sense of adventure, I know).

I really do like the look of the winterfront in the Fall though. Maybe I'll actually get those clips on this winter...... :mrgreen:
Cav Trooper
SGT
SGT

Re: winter grill cover

Post by Cav Trooper »

I thought so on using it above COLD is not "cool" pun intended, but it looks good attached. Maybe just attach it for shows, I have to install the clips yet too.

CT
HHT 2nd ACR
Merrell Barracks, Nuremberg, Ger.
1967/68
71st AHC, 14th AHB, Americal Div.
Chu-Lai, S. VietNam
Cav Trooper