http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Dodge-M ... 1198096065

later,
bob
52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Re: Dual Wheels on the M-37

Post by 52 M-42 »

I called Bob Stahl. Great guy to talk to about M37's. He may still have some wheels. He doesn't have any more pictures of that truck, and apparently it has faded back into the mists. The person who owned it when that picture was taken has passed away, and the truck has disappeared.

So, if you are interested in this modification, call Bob. The fenders will have to be built, unless somebody can come up with a source. When I get mine built, I'll see if anyone is still interested in a set.
CSCameron
PFC
PFC

Post by CSCameron »

I called Bob too. Nice guy. I purchased a couple of the dually rims from him. They'll be fun to have.
52PLOWERWAGON
SFC
SFC

Post by 52PLOWERWAGON »

but I meant front and rear, plus I think I already have 4 wheels but we couldn't get tires on em'. :(
CSCameron
PFC
PFC

Post by CSCameron »

52 M-42 wrote:I have figured out how to post pictures (thanks to Robyn)!

Here are a few pictures of the dual wheels / tires mounted on the front. I just did enough to be sure they would work.

I have never installed them on the truck for driving around because I don't have the proper fenders fabricated yet ( I just got a set of extra rear fenders to start that project a couple of weeks ago). It is not at the top of my project list, but will probably be done (or at least started) within the next year. I will be sure to post a thread on that project when it gets completed.

I'm not interested in selling my set, but I saw a dual wheel the other day on Ebay under Dodge Military M37 Parts. You might also try Supply Line if you belong to the MVCC or just search the usual vendor suspects.

Good Luck.
Have you ever installed these and tried driving around on them?
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Angle in the photo isn't exactly right to see it well; but looks like the tire sidewalls are rubbing or very well may rub when rolling. If that is the case, how do you intend to keep a sidewall rubbing issue at bay? Tires rubbing creates excessive heat very quickly; and no doubt would be an issue.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Post by 52 M-42 »

I haven't gotten that far yet, Charles. My understanding is that you need 2 dual wheels per side (some people think just one will work with a standard wheel).

Because this is NOT a standard military configuration, it may take a little additional work. Maybe a wheel spacer, maybe taller, narrower tires, maybe something else. Maybe I have to change the wheel centers. I just don't know until I put it all together. All I know right now is that I have 4 "dual" wheels that fit on the truck (the check was done with one stock wheel on the vehicle, that's why it looks "close").

When I get to this project I will solve any problems that may arise. We'll see what happens as it comes together. My next step in this project is digging the dual wheels and tires out of my storage unit. They are at the very back, on the bottom of a stack of wheels and tires (there are 2 stacks of 6 wheels and tires, with the duals on the bottom of each stack). It is still a little too warm to spend a Saturday in the storage unit; later this fall I'll try to get to it.

I'm in the middle of a few other projects on the truck that I want to finish up before I start any more. The fenders Jess Anderson was kind enough to give me have already been sand blasted and straightened - the welding will all be done at the same time later on in the project.

So, the take away is that it is still early in this project and we'll have to wait to see how it develops.

Who knows: maybe I'll have 4 oddball wheels to sell to somebody else with a better idea. :mrgreen:
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Well, everything you need is always at the bottom of the stack; that's general rule of thumb most of the time. Later.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Post by 52 M-42 »

Yep; at the bottom of the stack with all the heavy stuff in front and on top of it. :D
F18hornetm
SGT
SGT

Post by F18hornetm »

I still cant get over how immaculate your truck is. Even a glove on the bottle jack!!!!!! :D :D :D
Tuko
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Tuko »

I saw this on the Facebook

51 Dodge M37 W/W 4BT/NV4500

My G741 Registry Entry
CSCameron
PFC
PFC

Post by CSCameron »

Just got mine figured out today, not an M37 but a Power Wagon...

I was just mocking up the duals on the rear, 9.00r16s. I have Michelin 11.00r16 on the front. No, I will not be running the different sizes together. :D

Jess
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Jess »

F18hornetm wrote:I still cant get over how immaculate your truck is. Even a glove on the bottle jack!!!!!! :D :D :D
I have been fortunate to be able to visit with Storm and have a tour of his truck and associated stuff. It is the nicest M37 I have seen in over 40 years of being around or owning one. I can only add that it speaks to his attention to detail, patience and top notch workmanship. I'm looking forward to seeing how the dual wheel project works out.