Where do these go?

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

ChrisC
CPL
CPL

Where do these go?

Post by ChrisC »

OK, The M37 is pretty much done, and I am going through the parts that are left. The truck came with a bunch of extras when I bought it and these were in one of the boxes.
What are they and where were they supposed to go?
DA Supply Weenie
President Michigan Military Technical & Historical Society Museum
http://www.mimths.org

1942 Ford GPW
1942 Chrysler Fire Pump
1943 Hudson Invader
1944 WC-52
1951 M100
1952 M-37
1985 Dodge W-150 (Ex-Air Force line truck)
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Re: Where do these go?

Post by w30bob »

Hi Chris,

Those brackets connect the front motor mount to the radiator, one on each side. Really hard to get a pic of, but I'll try as soon as my camera battery charges up.

regards,
bob
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Chris,

I tried taking pics, gut they didn't show anything you could use. The left end of the brackets in the pic below (the end with the angle cut) bolts to the bottom of the radiator support (the big "U" piece the radiator sits in). The other end of the brackets bolt to the front face of the forward motor mount plate. If that's not a good enough description let me know and I'll see what else I can figure out to explain it better.

regards,
bob
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

To add to Bob's description, here's the illustration from the SNL 9 parts catalogue. The right side bracket ("BB" in the illustration) is shown, and there is a mirror image bracket on the left side ("RR"). The left end (as shown in this illustration, but which would actually be the rear end when installed in the truck) of the brackets bolt to the forward face of the front engine mount (not shown in this illustration). The right end of the brackets bolt to the underside of radiator support "T", on the 45deg angled section. Together with the radiator hoses, these two brackets allow the radiator assembly to be removed and installed from the truck with the engine/transmission assembly as a unit.

Last edited by Elwood on Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

the z brackets keep the horseshoe connected to the power plant for unitized removal.

for off road applications these Z brackets are very important. they add rigidity to the horseshoe reducing the movement of the fenders and strain on the upper rad support rods, corner brackets and side covers. many of the truck that I have/seen that do not have these Z brackets installed have cracks and broken welds on the fire wall were the upper rad support brackets go and the tabs that the side covers attach to.
.............................. use it ...............
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi Chris,

Here's 2 pics. The first shows how the bracket attaches to the bottom of the radiator "U" frame on the passenger side. The second shows the bracket under the belt for the generator on the driver's side. Hope these help.

regards,
bob

ChrisC
CPL
CPL

Post by ChrisC »

Thanks!
These were definitely not in place when I took the truck apart, might explain why these two NOS looking ones were in the "box o' extras"
I'll have to bolt these in in the spring.
DA Supply Weenie
President Michigan Military Technical & Historical Society Museum
http://www.mimths.org

1942 Ford GPW
1942 Chrysler Fire Pump
1943 Hudson Invader
1944 WC-52
1951 M100
1952 M-37
1985 Dodge W-150 (Ex-Air Force line truck)