Final pix-Finally getting the front clip back on...

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Cal_Gary

Re: Final pix-Finally getting the front clip back on...

Post by Cal_Gary »

Thanks! I think I have around 115 miles on the speedo that I installed many years ago, so i plan to greatly extend that in the immediate future!
Also got the top installed today.

Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
m37jarhead
SFC
SFC

Post by m37jarhead »

Nice job Gary,
Nothing beats a first time "road test" with a restored M37. Drive it all you can.
Jerry
Member: Arizona Military Vehicle Collector's Club, Treasurer.
Past Pres
Member: MVPA #26600
Member: NRA
‘43 GPW, '53 M37 W/W, ‘54 M170 Field Ambulance,
59 M43, '76 M151A2, '86 CUCV,
'43 GPW, 416 & 101 trailers.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Thanks! Got the horn situation resolved, kept blowing when I turned the wheel, so I popped off the inner cover, shaved a 1/16 off the contact nub then re-installed it. Now it works but sounds like it's vibrating the hood when it blows. Anyway, I also installed the rubber button cover after slathering it with Armor-All so it would be pliable enough. Even then it's still a bear to stretch across the retaining slot from the opposite side but I got it in place then treated it again since my last one rotted away, likely due to lack of treatment.

Finally making the run for gas this weekend! (I may have to "Go-Pro" that trip:)
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

So I made the gas run this afternoon, w/o pix. Seemed to run fine down hill but wanted to surge under load going uphill-I suspect the fuel filter because it never had this issue once I had the tank boiled, new fuel pump, filter, and the carb was rebuilt by Midwest Military. I also just installed the vented fuel cap and the vent is open, so I suspect the filter or perhaps the bit of old gas may be having an impact.
More to follow,
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

Let us know what you find that is causing the problem Gary.
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Post by 52 M-42 »

Surging can also be caused by an improperly adjusted governor. My new (overhauled) carburetor from MWM had to have the governor adjusted when it was installed on my newly rebuilt engine.

So don't eliminate the possibility of a governor adjustment. It's not hard to do and solves a lot of problems. :wink:

52 M-42
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Indeed it may be the governor. I put another 20 miles on it today, and it's surging when going uphill and floored, leaving me to believe it is recognizing that I may be reaching the rev limit. When I back off the pedal a bit, it settles down and chugs along just fine. Of course, I'm downshifting as necessary, and getting up the big hillside which is 5.2 miles long with 10% grades leaves me in 2nd gear and 10MPH, but it's making it w/o crapping out (fingers crossed).
I won't have time to troubleshoot for a few days, with a busy day Monday and rain forecast all day Tuesday.

Unrelated to the above, but today it was hesitant to start back up, like it had a case of vapor lock, but it wasn't a warm day and I'm running an electric fuel pump. I also run the vented cap. I suspect it is the manifold shutter but mine has been rusted in place since I got it so I'm not messing with it until I have a replacement shutter.
More to follow,
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

Hi Gary,

Glad to hear that you have her back on the road again. How do those brakes feel compared to before? Good solid pedal? No pedal fade or surging?

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Hi Bert,
I thought I'd be hearing from you soon-thanks!
Incredibly strong! Now that they've "burned in" I can fine tune them to maximize the braking power. I also have the TM's recommended 1 inch of brake pedal free travel w/o touching the MC adjusting rod-something I was prepared to do but the overhaul apparently has gone according to spec. so it's put the free travel right where it needs to be.

Now I'm looking into the little demons still to be tackled-companion flanges, seals and such so I don't have to keep scrubbing my driveway. It's also a bit hard to start when hot as I mentioned earlier in the thread-I'll have to get a new manifold shutter before tackling this.
Again, nice to hear from you!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

Hi Gary,

I would of chimed in earlier but I was focused on my immediate task at hand. My better half and I needed to go up-north and get our place field stripped of anything that would freeze, winterized the water / sewer lines, drag the boat home.......blah, blah, blah..... :roll: I hate winter a little more every year.
I know that you have been waiting for cooler weather to work on the M but we are gearing up for freezing temperatures that will have a chokehold on us very soon. :cry:

This good news about the brakes is what I wanted to hear, I will be ordering my new brake linings next week. I can't wait to get back working on the M37, I've been working on my M1009 getting the radios and dash controls in order for the big Veterans Day parade in Milwaukee on November 8th. The whole M1009 project got a little out of hand according to my wife. :roll:

Now back to the original topic :mrgreen:

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Well since you're in Wisconsin I already deemed you "up North" so you must be working toward the Canadian border! Yes, I agree, with winter upon us soon I'm doing household prep along with what I can on the M before it gets too cold. By the weather forecasts here, I'd say I have two more weeks before it starts getting down to freezing temps.

So I didn't know you also had a CUCV-lots different than working on an M37 for sure.

Let me know if you need any guidance on that brake job while my memory of doing mine is still fresh! :)
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W