VPW Stainless Steel Fuel Tank

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

ez8
CPL
CPL

VPW Stainless Steel Fuel Tank

Post by ez8 »

I'm looking for a new fuel tank because my original one has rotted out and will be expensive to refurbish.
My requirements for a replacement tank are: 1. Drop in ready 2. Look original 3. Rust resistance
Originally I was going to make one myself out of stainless steel sheet, but with other responsibilities taking priority I don't have time to do this. Nor do I have time to modify something to fit.

I sent a message to Vintage Power Wagons a few weeks ago asking if they have plans for a stainless steel fuel tank for the M37 like they do for the civilian power wagons. Answer: Yes, they do and it's already available. It's not advertised on their website, but through e-mail they expressed they are available and cost $695.00.

Has anyone installed one of these tanks in their M37?
jim lee
SSGT
SSGT

Re: VPW Stainless Steel Fuel Tank

Post by jim lee »

No.. But now that you post this, I'm thinking about it!

-jim lee
rickf
SSGT
SSGT

Post by rickf »

That is a hell of a lot of money for a tank! Consider that the original tanks that were untreated, lasted 40-60 years! If you buy a plain steel tank and have it coated it will last longer than any of us are going to be around. And probably longer than our kids!!! For a lot less money.
1953 M37
1964 M151A1
1967 M416
1984 M1008
4/1952 M100
12/1952 M100 gone
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

Yes, it is expensive. But a stainless tank is better than a carbon steel tank, especially in a collector vehicle. For a vehicle that sits for long periods of time, or is used infrequently, any water in the gasoline will settle to the bottom and start rusting a steel tank. Water in gas is getting to be more of a problem with all of the ethanol mixed into gasoline these days.

Compare the cost of a stainless tank to a used M37 steel tank once you find it, buy it, and then have it repaired. Between the purchase cost, shipping, and Gas Tank Renu, I probably have close to the price of that stainless tank in the replacement used tank that I bought for my M37. The stainless tank doesn't look so bad cost wise, and will last forever.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
rickf
SSGT
SSGT

Post by rickf »

If you coat the tank when new you will never have the rust issues. I plan on putting at least one drain on my tank at the lowest spot before coating and then run a tap through to clear the hole after coating. You have to get the water out because you will end up with acid if you don't. I live in a perpetually moist area and I have found that using marine Stabil is far and above better than the regular Stabil in preserving gasoline. With the regular stuff the gas is bad in 3 months but with the marine Stabil I have had gas a year old run as good as new. I still keep my tank full to the top over the winter because the less gas you have the more air transfer you have as temps go up and down from day to night. As the temps change you get condensation when there is air space in the tank. No air space means no air transfer and hence, no condensation.
1953 M37
1964 M151A1
1967 M416
1984 M1008
4/1952 M100
12/1952 M100 gone
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

rickf wrote:If you coat the tank when new you will never have the rust issues.
That's my point. Because the only tanks I've seen are used, and mostly used up and rusty. By the time the fuel tank has been refurbished sufficiently to be "new" enough to coat on the inside, the investment is on par with a new stainless tank.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
rickf
SSGT
SSGT

Post by rickf »

You may have a point, I thought I had seen new steel tanks for the M-37. Ok, I just went to VPW and looked. :shock: :shock: :!: Forget everything I have said previous! 550.00 for a reconditioned USED tank!!!!!!! not to mention the 100.00 core and the shipping to get the core to them and probably shipping for the new tank to you. In that light the stainless tank is the way to go. I am pretty sure the price of the used tank is set to push people towards the more expensive stainless tank. I have four used tanks, all with holes in them but I figure I can get new steel sheet and form the tank and tig it together for far less than that. This is a good option for those who do not have that choice or the time or equipment to do that.
1953 M37
1964 M151A1
1967 M416
1984 M1008
4/1952 M100
12/1952 M100 gone
Sal
SFC
SFC

Post by Sal »

Does anyone have a ballpark figure on how much it would cost to have one of our trucks gas tanks go through the Renu process?
:mrgreen:
Sal
1954 M37 WO/W
1969 M101A1
1967 M416
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

Been a few years since I had a tank Renu'd, but it was at least $300. Each location seems to be an independent franchise, and the amount of work needed on each tank varies, so the pricing isn't a fixed fee. The place that did mine also had a different warranty for the light-duty versus medium-duty truck tanks, and the M37 got the shorter warranty (medium-duty, i.e. commercial use). No fooling those guys, he knew what truck it was from as soon as I put it on the counter.
Sal
SFC
SFC

Post by Sal »

Thanks Elwood, I was just wondering what it would go for. I heard too many bad things about the POR15 process. I would go with the Renu way if I had to have a tank done.
:mrgreen:
Sal
1954 M37 WO/W
1969 M101A1
1967 M416
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

I have had great success with POR15. But you MUST follow the directions and not skip a step.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

I want to say $200 or so for having my tank flushed and sealed with RENU but that was around 6 years ago. The shop also added a corner drain plug (that I did not authorize) so be sure to ask the shop beforehand so you don't get the surprise that I did. I assume they did it to remove the excess material behind the baffle.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
ez8
CPL
CPL

Post by ez8 »

When I was shopping around to get my current tank restored, I was quoted $500. It's got a dime sized hole in the bottom and the interior coating is coming off in big chunks. It was done by RENU near VPW back in the early 90's (according to previous owner, and the RENU tag on it...also RENU's lifetime warranty is non transferable).

Back when I got the truck I was going to send it to VPW to get one of their restored tanks, but when I called about this option they said they had no tanks available and wouldn't be able to send one out. This was around August of 2017 and the SS tanks were not available yet.

In any event, I think I'll drop the coin and get the SS tank. I'll post my experiences here.
BILL L
SGT
SGT

Post by BILL L »

I have several good take out tanks with NO broken bolts on the sender or pick up location. $200 each plus shipping or you can pick one up. Bill Ocala Fl. Autodoc51@aol.com
ez8
CPL
CPL

Post by ez8 »

Hello everyone, it's good to be with you again.

Not knowing how Mr. Trump's steel and aluminum tariffs were going to affect steel prices I was in a hurry to order the stainless tank from VPW. I ordered on 3/19 and it arrived by 3/22. Shipping was only $45 via UPS from Iowa to Indiana. Not too shabby considering the size and weight of the thing. It arrived well packaged in a cardboard box.

Total Project cost:
VPW Stainless Steel Tank: $695.00
VPW Sending Unit gasket: $5.00
VPW Shipping: $45.00
Fuel Sending Unit: $42.00 (including shipping from E-bay)
Misc hose, fittings, filters, etc.: $30.00
Grand Total: $817.00

This is the new tank compared to the original tank. You can see that's it's just slightly wider than old tank, which makes installing the straps a fun experience. However, the sending unit and pickup holes, and the vent and fill necks are all in the right place. No modification necessary. The tank comes with screws for the filler and sender as well as a plug for the bottom and an adapter for the vent line (which I didn't use).

The vent line is a threaded as in the original tank. I set the original vent tube down somewhere so I'd remember where it was, but I lost it so I made due with a barbed air hookup that would fit the 1/2" flex hose that mates to the filler's vent tube.

The tank is heavy, but I was able to get it into position by myself. Make sure you have something handy to prop the tank up while you fiddle with the straps.

As far as the pickup goes, I reused my old pickup and ran a piece of steel tubing down into the tank. I put a 90 degree bend in it at 8" (the depth of the tank) and called it good. I suppose you could dangle a piece of fuel hose down into the tank too, but I made do with the materials on hand.

I was able to reuse my old fuel lines as they weren't in bad condition. I put two filters in the line, though - one just after the tank and one just before the fuel pump. That should catch most of whatever might be lurking in the line. If not, I need to take my carb apart anyway and that may provide the impetus I need to get the job done.

Anyway, the whole project took me a day all in. Most of that time was running to the parts store and getting what I needed. All in all I rate this tank as pretty good. I like that I didn't have to modify anything to get it in place.