Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Marmalute
PFC
PFC

M37 Canvas

Post by Marmalute »

Hello everyone!
In the next six months or so I should be ready for new canvas on a stock M37 of mine. Although I know I could stitch up my own ( seat covers, cab top, cargo cover, straps), I thought I’d take a poll of suggestions of current canvas suppliers, and fabricators.
So tell me please, pros and cons of canvas you have received recently for your rig? I’m interested in things like material (is it the correct weight, dry finish, wet finish), correct color or choice of colors, fit and finish and stich quality.
For those who use your rigs a bit: how is your canvas holding up to use?
All responses welcome, I know that this is discussed from time to time, that is why I’m looking for current producers and suppliers.
Thank you!
just me
1SG
1SG

Re: M37 Canvas

Post by just me »

Probably not a good day for me to chime in. I'm not really happy with CCC-D-950 materials right now.
Some of the established makers quality has degraded lately from peoples reports.
Some of the stuff is still good. What I am finding is the material isn't worth sour owl feces anymore.
I use my truck and it lives outside. Even a new manufactured top from Johnson (OEM) only lasted 2 years. It dry rotted and fell apart in my hands last week. (2 weeks before our big annual show) I have spent this weekend patching it back together with some too light CCC-D-950 TYPE 1 CLASS B (10.10OZ) canvas (from a latrine screen) as a stop gap. This summer I will cut it apart to make a pattern and sew a new one in #10 CCC-D-950 Type 1 Class A new canvas from the mill. Then I will make a rubberized canvas cover for the entire truck to try and keep the UV from killing it again so quickly.
Knowing what they cost, and how short a time they last, my suggestion is make your own. Probably won't last any longer, but won't be nearly as expensive.

And fit and finish aren't words generaly used in conjunction with military vehicle upholstery.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
Marmalute
PFC
PFC

Post by Marmalute »

Just me- as I recall, the ccc-d-950 is more akin to a “sulpher dyed” fabric and more appropriate for bags to put manuals in etc.
I think the spec you want to be going for is something like ccc-c-428g type 1 (od 7) or type 2 (deck grey), further, you would want a class 1 for your cab top and cargo cover, or class 2 (dry finish) for your seats.
There is a lot of OD cloth out there, but it’s not all created equal.
As far as fit and finish goes, most of the finish compliance comes from the ccc-c-438g specification, and although this is not a high end upholstery job we are talking about; just like any skilled fabrication work, some is better than others. And at the end of the day some covers fit “right” and some do not. All I’m asking for is opinions of whether once purchased, did that cover fit?
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Best quality and fit I've seen recently us the new manufactured tops from MWM.
Marmalute
PFC
PFC

Post by Marmalute »

I’m assuming he is having New Life Canvas make them for him?
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

He says an OEM is making them. So, that would leave New Life out.
Marmalute
PFC
PFC

Post by Marmalute »

Maybe, but she does stainless clips for the side of the cab tops, I’m not aware that J.Johnson ever did, and hard to know if they would do custom made tops. I haven’t spoken to anyone over there in many years. I guess anything is possible.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

I got my canvas top from Adirondack Dodge in 2007. It has faded with time (11 years) but has held up very well-I have no complaints about it's quality or fitment.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Marmalute
PFC
PFC

Post by Marmalute »

Eleven years seems like a respectable amount of time for canvas to last. I wonder where Adirondack was getting them 11 years ago and if he’s getting them from the same canvas fabricator these days? Does your top have stainless steel “side clips” over the doors? Or mild steel ones?
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

I suppose they're mild steel. Fred told me they got their supply from the DOD contracted supplier and I believe him: the canvas was fresh with the riveted side brackets and the NSN stenciled inside.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
Marmalute
PFC
PFC

Post by Marmalute »

That makes sense, the stainless clips can be a PITA to make. I doubt DOD would want stainless when they got around to doing the cost/benefit analysis. After all the stainless clips would outlast the top and maybe the design life of the truck!
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

The tops from MWM have mild steel cljps riveted in.
Marmalute
PFC
PFC

Post by Marmalute »

Just checked his website and it says: “New production canvas cabtop made in the USA by the original government contractor. They make them for us now. Correct zippered rear panel that rolls up. Our tops have stainless steel side clips so that they don't rust and stain your canvas. Includes the rear tie down rope as well”
So I guess inquiring minds would like to know the rest of the story...
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Not sure I understand what else is needed. That description fit my top to a "tee".
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
Marmalute
PFC
PFC

Post by Marmalute »

Hi Gary, I guess what I’m trying to unravel here is that I’m looking for new canvas from current suppliers.
Canvas covers can come to us directly from the fabricators or from resellers. Last I knew, there weren’t that many different entities actually producing canvas covers for M37s.
Like anyone else, I’m looking for high quality materials to go into my restoration projects. Clearly MVs weren’t designed to be long lived the way some classic cars might, but rather designed to get the mission done. If I remember correctly, for example, the ccc-c 428g specification gives a minimum working life of 100 hours.
The fact that no M37s have been used by credible military forces for quite some time means that the original fabricators of M37 canvas have likely gone on to making other things. Nobody wants “reproduction” canvas, and yet at this point NOS canvas is likely to be dry rotted or shrunken. It’s been my experience that in the past some of the people selling new canvas were hesitant to mention the source, but instead imply it was from” the original government manufacturer” or something similar.
I guess what I am looking for is more the story behind the story, and that is where the stainless side clips on cab covers came in. To the best of my knowledge no “original” cab tops made for US government use ever had stainless steel clips, basically because it wasn’t needed for the mission of the M37. To my knowledge, the first use of stainless side clips came from the reproduction canvas made by New Life Resource. Frankly, I don’t think we give enough credit to those people who are currently fabricating canvas for all our MVs even if they didn’t do it on the original contract. Without their consistent high quality work, our rigs would be uncovered and top less!
I guess what surprises me a little is the lack of input and response for opinions about current canvas considering the number of members on this site- I guess I just need to accept that we all have lives and interests beyond our M37 variants, as hard as that may be to accept!
I’ve got to get to work!