Timing pointer on 230 flat head six engine missing

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Re: Timing pointer on 230 flat head six engine missing

Post by NAM VET »

with the clutch disengaged, I am able to turn my engine's crank by just using the fan blade. My truck has the four belt pulley, so maybe that is why it was easy. Plus, I had all the plugs removed when I was checking some things. Then too, by looking at the fan blades, I was sure I was turning the engine in the normal rotation to be sure the timing chain was tight.

Had a really good "shoot" Sat with my IDPA club. We are supposed to shoot something called a "classifier" once year, it determines a shooter's classification in matches. Shooting my H&K VP9, I was just "on", even at the 20 yard line, leaning out from cover. Was tenth out of about 50 talented shooters, and moved up one class. Now, to work on making the next one, Expert. I have been doing IDPA for about 5 or 6 years now, and have made so many good friends in our small local club.

I talk to a lot of guys, who just don't have many or even any "good friends", and feel that they are missing out on so much comraderie. I reload my own ammo, that way I can shoot almost daily at a nearby indoor range. Practice makes (nearly) perfect. Life is good. Recently completed a two year course of Chemo, and now to wait and see what is next. All the best to all of you.....

Hal, aka NAM VET

now for picture of a nifty armored car, from when I was in Desert Storm.
[url=https://postimg.org/image/d0gywp1f ... .jpg[/img][/url]
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

You may as well stop being concerned about the missing pointer issue. With 100 PSI compression readings across all 6 cylinders, it is seriously time to start thinking about a complete rebuild; at which time the engine will be disassembled making replacement of the pointer (or replacement of the cover) a much less intense issue.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
mdainsd
PVT
PVT

Post by mdainsd »

In the tune up adaptor kit is the tool that goes into the inspection plug on number 6. It is there for a reason.

Mine is missing the pointer too, but never used it anyway. I set my timing with a vacuum gauge. Adjust idle timing for highest vacuum. Worked for me for years.
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

mdainsd wrote:In the tune up adaptor kit is the tool that goes into the inspection plug on number 6. It is there for a reason.

Mine is missing the pointer too, but never used it anyway. I set my timing with a vacuum gauge. Adjust idle timing for highest vacuum. Worked for me for years.
By "tune up adapter kit", do you mean the kit of electrical adapters for checking the generator, regulator, etc.?

I ask because Miller also made a top dead center tool (No. C-435) that screwed into the 1/4NPT timing plug hole over the No. 6 cylinder.
Last edited by Elwood on Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
mdainsd
PVT
PVT

Post by mdainsd »

Yep.

"Adaptor Set, Engine Electrical Test"

NSN-4916-00-348-7600

Bottom right of the box in its own little holder.
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

Do you mean item 5 in this drawing (from TM 9-4910-607-14&P Adapter Set, Engine, Electric Test, Sun Electric Corp., 4910-00-348-7600)?

Because I think that's just the distributor primary adapter, which screws into the port in the distributor cover above the coil:

Here's the Miller C-435 tool for measuring TDC in No. 6 cylinder that I was thinking of:

“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776