M43B1 1963 Ambulance

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Re: M43B1 1963 Ambulance

Post by RMS »

I just did the 4 flex lines on one m37 last month . replaced them with stainless braided lines(at the same cost as rubber) I know there not stock but what a difference. easier to apply and much firmer.
.............................. use it ...............
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

That is a really nice truck. Congrats on your purchase and may you have many wonderful days with it.
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
mikeM43
PVT
PVT

Post by mikeM43 »

Hello Gentlemen!

Its been a while since I visited here the last time. Thank you for all your replies. I haven't done anything with the truck yet and since I broke my leg recently I will have plenty of time to study the manuals and the forum. So far I have ordered a set of dataplates that my truck was missing and 4 new military pattern NDT tires. Once I receive them I will bring the truck to a friend's tire shop to have them installed since I have absolutelly no experience with wheels, let alone those scary split rim wheels... When I do the swap, will I need to replace the inner tubes and flaps?
After the new tires have been installed I will be planning to paint the truck. The color will be semi gloss od as used on US vehicles in the 60s. Now, I haven't done this before and I feel this might be quite an adventure but also very hard at the same time. I know I have to prep the surface and sand down the old layers of paint as there are at least two different layers from what I can see thru the cracked paint on the hood. My question is: is it doable in my own garage/backyard with a 6.3 gallon tank air compressor and a regular spray gun? Im planning to take off the hood, fenders, bumper, grille etc for this. I will only paint the outside since the inside is very solid. What do you think?

Another question is what type of grease do I use for all the u joints and lubrication points in the truck? I was advised to use moly lithium grease but also heard about graphite grease.

And the last one for today: do I use the same type of gear oil for the differentials, transfer case and the transmission? Will 80W90 Gl4 be okay for this?

Thanks in advance

Mike
1972 M151A2 AM General
1963 M43B1 Dodge Ambulance
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Hi Mike,
Broken leg? That has to be difficult to do most anything!. Anyway, to your questions. My responses are based on my experiences and preferences and are by no means "the gospel" as some others may share their preferences that may differ from mine.

Tires-I used new tubes with my old flaps with no issues, putting 1800 miles on the new NDTs as of now;
Units commonly "field-painted" the vehicles outside; sounds like your spray unit should work just fine. While I'm no expert,recommend shooting primer first or you could end up with shading issues due to the multiple colors you're shooting over; I'd still shoot the interior, jerry cans and any other accessories too so you have matching paint inside and out;
Grease-I'm using Lucas Oil products and have had no issues-I'm at work so I can't provide specifics;
Gear lube-I use Gl-5 in all my gear boxes-since you didn't mention it I will: don't forget your steering box-it needs gear oil too. GL-4 should not cause you any issues.

Sounds like you have a lot of work ahead, especially for mid-January. Keep us posted on your progress!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

mikeM43 wrote: Another question is what type of grease do I use for all the u joints and lubrication points in the truck? I was advised to use moly lithium grease but also heard about graphite grease.

And the last one for today: do I use the same type of gear oil for the differentials, transfer case and the transmission? Will 80W90 Gl4 be okay for this?

Thanks in advance

Mike
Mike, PM me your email address and I'll send you a Word document with M37 lubrication information that I've collected from the military manuals, factory manuals, and information on modern lubricant upgrades from various sources.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

They ARE NOT scary split rim wheels. They are Goodyear Safety Ring wheels. A split rim is an entirely different beast.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
mikeM43
PVT
PVT

Post by mikeM43 »

Cal_Gary wrote:Hi Mike,
Broken leg? That has to be difficult to do most anything!. Anyway, to your questions. My responses are based on my experiences and preferences and are by no means "the gospel" as some others may share their preferences that may differ from mine.

Tires-I used new tubes with my old flaps with no issues, putting 1800 miles on the new NDTs as of now;
Units commonly "field-painted" the vehicles outside; sounds like your spray unit should work just fine. While I'm no expert,recommend shooting primer first or you could end up with shading issues due to the multiple colors you're shooting over; I'd still shoot the interior, jerry cans and any other accessories too so you have matching paint inside and out;
Grease-I'm using Lucas Oil products and have had no issues-I'm at work so I can't provide specifics;
Gear lube-I use Gl-5 in all my gear boxes-since you didn't mention it I will: don't forget your steering box-it needs gear oil too. GL-4 should not cause you any issues.

Sounds like you have a lot of work ahead, especially for mid-January. Keep us posted on your progress!
Gary
Thanks Gary for the reply! I forgot about the steering box... I do have a lot of work ahead of me and will try to sort it all out before my first local historical event and a parade this May. I keep the truck at my parents' house which is a 2 hour drive from where I live and work so I only have time to work on it during the weekends. About the paintjob, Im aiming at a "motorpool" or "field painted" look, Im not planning to attend any beauty contests with the truck anyway :) Thanks again for the tips!

EDIT: I found two online articles on painting the truck:
http://garbee.net/~cabell/paint.htm
http://www.militarytrader.com/restorati ... nd_do_nots
Last edited by mikeM43 on Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
1972 M151A2 AM General
mikeM43
PVT
PVT

Post by mikeM43 »

just me wrote:They ARE NOT scary split rim wheels. They are Goodyear Safety Ring wheels. A split rim is an entirely different beast.
Thank you for clearing that up! I didnt know it. Im still having a professional do the swap for me though :)
1972 M151A2 AM General
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

mikeM43 wrote:
just me wrote:They ARE NOT scary split rim wheels. They are Goodyear Safety Ring wheels. A split rim is an entirely different beast.
Thank you for clearing that up! I didnt know it. Im still having a professional do the swap for me though :)
Dismounting tires and mounting new ones by yourself is not impossible, and having some tire tools will help make the job easier and prevent damage to the rims. Plenty of information on this forum on which tools, changing tires, and working with these split ring rims. And you'll have a sense of satisfaction, plus a new and useful skill, when you're done. The search function is invaluable.

If nothing else, familiarize yourself with the process, so that you can decide if the professional shop is doing the work correctly. If they damage your rim or don't put the split ring on correctly, you might not know it was done wrong until something happens on the road.

For me, I prefer to do them at my home shop instead of having a professional tire shop do them. Perhaps if we had a local shop that was proficient with and interested in doing these types of tires and rims I'd feel differently, but most of them are only interested in selling car and light truck tires on one-piece drop center rims, or selling the latest fancy wheels, or finding any number of things "wrong" with your vehicle when all you wanted was a tire changed. :roll:
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

I am no expert on the proper lubrication for the drivetrain and steering, but here what I chose to do:

there is special very viscous, honey-like lube for the steering box. Mobil 1 600xp 460, or something like that. Hardly pours. I ordered a gallon from the Walmart on-line source, was about 26 bucks shipped. Box takes 12 oz from empty. Same thick worm gear oil in the winch, both sides. If you have one.

For the transfer case and differentials, need a lube that is appropriate for hypoid gears I use Redlne 75-90 in those. the -140 wt gear oils won't help with the temperature production especially of the transfer case. the -90 wt helps with temperature reduction.

For my transmission, again, you need something compatible with the brass syncro gears, for that I use Redline MTL 90, it is about a 50 wt viscous transmission oil, full synthetic, so easier shifting when cold.

Read the labels and spec sheets for whatever lubes you use for maximum protection.

At least, this is what I use, after studying it all.

NV
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

There is no brass in the early truck trans, so don't need to worry there. I don't believe there is any in the 420 as well. The synchro system is steel and aluminum with no brass rings.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

just me wrote:There is no brass in the early truck trans, so don't need to worry there. I don't believe there is any in the 420 as well. The synchro system is steel and aluminum with no brass rings.
I think that the reverse idler gear in both transmissions runs on plain bronze bushings. The reverse idler gear didn't get steel needle bearings until the NP435.

Good reading: http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Rea ... es-effects
rickf
SSGT
SSGT

Post by rickf »

GL-5 is supposed to be safe as long as it has the MT-1 additive in it which all brand name lubes do have. I play it safe and use GL-4 or prior in all of my manual transmission vehicles. Better safe than sorry. Differentials don't care what is in them so use whatever you are using in the transmission.
1953 M37
1964 M151A1
1967 M416
1984 M1008
4/1952 M100
12/1952 M100 gone
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

after rebuilding a few transmissions and transfer cases and seeing the lack of lubrication from such heavy oil. I will never run gear oil in a gear box again. 50w trans oil all the way! but if such things are too expensive or hard to find ATF will work in a pinch.

:shock: ATF :shock:

thats right Automatic Transmission Fluid in the manual transmission. m37 for 6 months and 5000miles.... nothing on the magnetic plug. datsun/nissan 71b trans 1year 20,000miles nothing found on the magnetic plug. easier shifts, better fuel economy and surprisingly less noise. also it washed that teflon laced additive junk off my syncros.
.............................. use it ...............
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Nothing wrong with a "field-painted" look; that way you don't have to worry about scratched paint....
Gary
Attachments
Summertime M37.jpg
Summertime M37.jpg (35.37 KiB) Viewed 1823 times
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500