What is this number in my Canadian M37 hardtop?

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

808morgan
CPL
CPL

What is this number in my Canadian M37 hardtop?

Post by 808morgan »

number m37.jpg
number m37.jpg (110.28 KiB) Viewed 1501 times
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Re: What is this number in my Canadian M37 hardtop?

Post by NAM VET »

First, welcome to the community. Tell us more about your truck and yourself. Now, as for the painted number, I have no sure answer for you, but perhaps it is some "inventory" control identification. A hard top is a pretty important part of a truck, and I suspect whatever military unit had it originally wanted to keep tabs on it. Sort of a serial number thing maybe.

But i suspect someone more knowledgeable than I will be along shortly. And again, welcome.

NAM VET, Upstate SC
Jess
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Jess »

That number is the CAR (Canadian Army Registration) number which will be stamped on the left front frame horn if its original for the truck. The CAR later became the CFR (Canadian Forces Registration) number. At one point the CAR/CFR would have been stencilled on the doors. Canada did not use hood numbers in the fashion of the US military. If its a Canadian truck, you will find the serial number stamped on the frame, drivers side just behind the rear cab mount. This is different than the US production. The serial number should match the Data Plate number if its original. Hope this helps answer your question.
Jess
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Jess »

Now that you've had your question answered, how about a picture and description of your truck. And fill in your general location so members that are close to you could hook up and share information and parts. We have all benefited from information posted here over the years and hope you can add to this great web site by sharing your experience. Have fun with your truck.
808morgan
CPL
CPL

Post by 808morgan »

tumblr_oza890dQsu1r0j27bo2_540.jpg
tumblr_oza890dQsu1r0j27bo2_540.jpg (103.69 KiB) Viewed 1403 times
Jess wrote:Now that you've had your question answered, how about a picture and description of your truck. And fill in your general location so members that are close to you could hook up and share information and parts. We have all benefited from information posted here over the years and hope you can add to this great web site by sharing your experience. Have fun with your truck.

Well this truck is going to be my friends, I'm getting a different one actually. I didn't know that when I asked the question. There are two M37s on my friends land, one is the Canadian. I wish I could restore the M37F but it's too much of a project for me, but it isn't in bad shape if anyone is interested. I'm in N. CA. These trucks are in Potter Valley, CA.
808morgan
CPL
CPL

Post by 808morgan »

Jess wrote:That number is the CAR (Canadian Army Registration) number which will be stamped on the left front frame horn if its original for the truck. The CAR later became the CFR (Canadian Forces Registration) number. At one point the CAR/CFR would have been stencilled on the doors. Canada did not use hood numbers in the fashion of the US military. If its a Canadian truck, you will find the serial number stamped on the frame, drivers side just behind the rear cab mount. This is different than the US production. The serial number should match the Data Plate number if its original. Hope this helps answer your question.

I've heard the US records are all gone, did the Canadians keep any, is there any way to find out where it has been?

Thanks
06boblee
SFC
SFC

Post by 06boblee »

You can still get build sheets from Chrysler for the US trucks, don't know about the CDN.
'54 M37 wew
MVPA #16921
Jess
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Jess »

Unfortunately, the records were destroyed sometime after the units left the service. Many CFR numbers have been reassigned, so anything in the system now would be for something else. Same with most of the early deuces and other stuff of that era. I don't think Build cards are available for the Canadian WIndsor, Ontario built trucks. Too bad, as it would have been interesting to see the trucks history. One of mine was purchased directly from the government at a disposal sale in the city where I lived at the time. The battalion that used the truck was still in the garrison, so I know that it served with 3PPCLI (3rd Battalion, Princess Patricia's Light Infantry) but nothing more.
Any of these old 60+ year old trucks will need work, but that is what makes them interesting and fun to have. Parts are still available and reasonably cheap, compared to some hobbies. Enjoy yours and we'll follow along from out here.

Jess
808morgan
CPL
CPL

Post by 808morgan »

Jess wrote:Unfortunately, the records were destroyed sometime after the units left the service. Many CFR numbers have been reassigned, so anything in the system now would be for something else. Same with most of the early deuces and other stuff of that era. I don't think Build cards are available for the Canadian WIndsor, Ontario built trucks. Too bad, as it would have been interesting to see the trucks history. One of mine was purchased directly from the government at a disposal sale in the city where I lived at the time. The battalion that used the truck was still in the garrison, so I know that it served with 3PPCLI (3rd Battalion, Princess Patricia's Light Infantry) but nothing more.
Any of these old 60+ year old trucks will need work, but that is what makes them interesting and fun to have. Parts are still available and reasonably cheap, compared to some hobbies. Enjoy yours and we'll follow along from out here.

Jess

Yeah that's what I've heard, thanks. The truck I'm going to get was with forestry after military use and the owner who works for the forest service says he has some information about where in the army it was used. I'm not getting the Canadian built truck from my friend's ranch after all. I would love to restore it but it's just too much for me right now. I was restoring a Datsun race car for the past three years so an easier project seems to be what I need.
808morgan
CPL
CPL

Post by 808morgan »

06boblee wrote:You can still get build sheets from Chrysler for the US trucks, don't know about the CDN.
Oh yes, I think I have the info to order the card. Thanks. I won't be buying my friend's Canadian truck, I'm getting one that was also a forestry truck and has been mostly restored.