cut my cab top off

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

NAM VET
1SG
1SG

cut my cab top off

Post by NAM VET »

I cut it off, I ground it off, sawed it off, pried it off, hammered it off, wrenched it off, yanked it off, sanded it off, and even cursed it off. My truck came out of NE, and before that MO, and at some distant time in the past, someone fashioned a nice "hard top" for it. Used 1/4 inch wire pop riveted here and there to the cab and top of the windshield frame, then over that layered fiberglass. Pretty nice, actually, except for weatherproofing, they then glued old shag carpet inside to the top and sides, and around a rear plastic window. I had to do my rebuild with my truck in my driveway since last fall, (running great now) because with the rear "hoop" on, it was a scant one inch too tall to fit into my garage. It was a lot of work, took about five hours, mostly with my new 20 v Sawzall, the hand held one, and a cutting wheel on my grinder. I had to cut about 6 welded tubes placed here and there. I was worried that I would have to grind off the fiberglass that was placed down about 4 inches on the rear of the outside of the cab, but mostly I could just yank it off. Then finished up with more grinding and cutting, and finally sanding, and just finished a preliminary coat of primer. And it fits in my garage with about two feet to the front to my workbench, and a foot to the rear.

Likewise, I was afraid I was going to have to source new top hardware, a new hoop, uprights, and over-door pieces, but with more easy grinding, they too will be perfectly usable. Just need the canvas now. So it sits in my garage for the first time in the 13 months I have owned it. Looks good with the machine gun pedestal and pintle. i was mostly done when my wife got back from some Girl Event and asked why with a hurricane coming in a few days, of all days, I decided to remove my top. I just turned on my grinder and went back to work.

Yesterday, wife and drove the 200 miles down to our cottage on the shore by Charleston, emptied out the 'fridge, and put what things we could inside, and came back. Hopping we can escape severe damage to our place in a few days.

Wish us luck....

NV
mdainsd
PVT
PVT

Re: cut my cab top off

Post by mdainsd »

"I just turned on my grinder and went back to work. " Gold!!! :D
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

Good to learn your truck is in out of the weather, hope you have good luck and no storm damage.
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
superbee70
PFC
PFC

Post by superbee70 »

Same thing with mine. Someone made a hardtop. my plans were to remove and sell/swap/give-away. By the time i got into it ended up cutting it off in pieces.Like you i think I can re-use the side window pieces. I do need a rear bow. Alo need to drill out and weld shut the 100(?) rivets they used to secure the top to the rear of the cab.
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

No pictures? You know the rules. If the work is not accompanied by pictures it didn't happen.... :lol: Glad you got it off. If you want a new hard top Vintage Powerwagon has new fiberglass tops.
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

I did the same thing as well, all of the supporting materials were still in place, luckily.
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA