Runs better on 6 cylinders than 5

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Runs better on 6 cylinders than 5

Post by NAM VET »

I have suspected that my just rebuilt engine was not always firing on all six cylinders. But it started just great, idle was a little lopy, but I just wasn't sure. Inline six engines are just so balanced that they are smooth. But a few days ago, went out for a test and it really lost everything to one cylinder, so came home, and pulled the spark plug wires off each plug with the engine idling, and sure enough, no spark to #5. Switched out some plugs, just to be sure it was a wire and not a plug. So called VPW and had them send me a used #5, along with a spare distributor wire, and this afternoon I pulled all the wires off the dizzy, (I had put the curved ends on the dizzy, and not on the plugs), then reinstalled them along with the $20 wire from VPW, and just went out to test it. What a difference, just smooth power, lots of acceleration, cruises effortlessly at 40-45 mph. I will put on all new wires after I get my machine gun mounted.

One of the advantages, I guess, of taking three months to get my motor back from the machine shop, is that I had lots of time to do things "ahead", like painting metal, hard lines, having all the bed metal supports for the wood sandblasted, and lots more. I also made up new wood for the seats and sides, routed the edges over, painted them black, and yesterday and today I cut them to size and using the old wood as a pattern, drilled the holes and mounted the seat and side wood. All new bolts and nuts, looks great.

So pretty much all i have left to do is to paint most of it, put on the decals and stencils, and that about does it. Glad to see my oil pressure with 10-40 Competition Cams break in oil a steady 55 psi at cruise, and a steady 45 psi or so at idle.

All is well here in Upstate SC.

NV
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Re: Runs better on 6 cylinders than 5

Post by k8icu »

YEAH! I love hearing when folks find and solve the problem. Good Job!
M37s are HMMWV in my world!