Sometimes it is the little things that slow us down...

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Sometimes it is the little things that slow us down...

Post by NAM VET »

I am amazed at often some seemingly minor, quick task can turn out to be such a hassle. For instance, I have been vexed by my inability to get my pull-out hand throttle to work. I have cleaned it, straightened the inner cable, adjusted it over and over. My dad sent me out to mow yards when I was in the fourth grade, and I had to learn how to maintain my mowers, with Dad's help of course. A throttle cable is a .75c part on any mower. How may times have I adjusted them since the mid '50's? And yet this simple item on my truck is just cursed. So once again, after a test drive (to the dump, how appropriate), once again I took off the aircleaner, and then recognized that the problem is that the little pinch holder that holds the outer cable just won't tighten enough to keep from slipping. So took it off, filed a better groove in the middle, filed off a bit here and there, and replaced the stupid flat head screw that wouldn't hold it snug enough with a stainless bolt and nylock. And yet, still it would bind!

Then, in exasperation, I noted the under bolt that holds that little bracket to the carb was loose; no wonder it was wonky! So tightened that bolt, and and with a little tweaking, it seems to work fine. The little things...

Then this pm went out to finally put on the driver's upper cowl side panel. When I removed it months ago, found the rear, upper weld-nut had broken off. So, I inserted a new handsome grade 8 fine thread bolt, but to had to reach up into the nook (no wonder Dodge used a lot of weld-nuts, for places fingers just won't go) and after removing the hood prop so I could maybe get two fingers up into that tiny cavern of a recess, I was again vexed because I just couldn't get the new nut started, no matter how many times it flipped off my fingertips. I finally removed the fine thread bolt, and sure enough, somehow the nut I had reached for in my fine-thread 7/16 inch nut bag was a coarse thread! How it got into the wrong Fastenal bag is beyond me. But there went a half hour, quickly remedied with the proper nut, and all is well. The little things....

Given the hours I spent trying with ultimate success to get my fuel filler neck inserted and fastened down, and these two adventures, what should have been a half hour at most project consumed most of a day.

Good thing I am retired. But edging up on my truck's speed, runs great, starts fine, oil pressure hot is about 55psi on my Autometer mechanical gage on the steering column. It is noisy rascal, so 40 mph seems like it is a lot faster. I am not sure I will do much driving at greater than that speed. But lots of power, and immense torque down low in the RPM.

All the best, guys...
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Re: Sometimes it is the little things that slow us down...

Post by m-37Bruce »

NV, you are correct for sure, it is the little things.
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Sometimes?
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
billy
SSGT
SSGT

Post by billy »

I have been fooling with my windows for over a year.
New channels and over 100 hours later
They don't work.
I have kinda gave up
Tape em shut in the winter and only use the passenger door.
Put em down all the way in the summer and let the rain in.
I get pissed just thinking about it.
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

We've talked about your windows before, still the same, binding or stuck track, right? I wonder if there is a difference in the thickness between the M-43 and the M-37?
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
billy
SSGT
SSGT

Post by billy »

I am in the process of building a swamp /evaporative cooler using the heaters blower.
I will put it between the front seats with a vent pointing fore and aft.
Then the windows will be closed anyway.
It's very dry here most of the time.
I will post pics when done