First post-rebuild drive and the Machine Gun

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

NAM VET
1SG
1SG

First post-rebuild drive and the Machine Gun

Post by NAM VET »

Preparatory to painting my rear frame rails, I wanted to drive it bed-less over to a nearby auto wash, to hose off any oil or grime from the rear frame. So with great confidence, went out yesterday, and cranked my newly rebuilt motor, which has been staring in a few spins of the crank. It started fine, then in a few moments died, and I just could not get it started again. With & without choke, and being carful to not overheat the starter, it just would not fire. I was bewildered as to why, when I has been firing and running so well since my first post-rebuild start last week. So raised the hood, which is what dumbfounded drivers do when their car won't run, as if somehow that simple act will mysteriously fix whatever malady has befallen our vehicle. I intended to pull a plug to see if it was wet or dray, and Turned on the Facet electric pump, and noted zero fuel pressure on the gage on my regulator. And that a few inches away, my fuel line cut-off was turned to OFF. Turned the small brass handle, the fuel pressure immediately registered, and climbing back into the cab, hit the starter pedal, and it promptly fired right up, and soon settled into an easy smooth idle.

Pulled the wheel chocks, slipped it into second, and eased down the driveway, and made several trips around the neighborhood, the first time my truck has moved under its own power since last fall. I also note how the steering is so much improved, all the wander and looseness of the steering wheel is gone. When I was waiting for the machine shop to finish their thing on my motor, I had snugged up the steering box screw per the TM, so easy to do with all the front sheet metal off. What a difference in steering accuracy! So went over the mile or so and hosed off all the rear components, and spent the remainder of the day with a sander and wire wheel. More of that today, and in a day or so, primer then my OD on those parts. Then to put the bed on.

A couple of days ago, at dinner, when a local ER called me and asked me to fill in a shift the next day, after I agreed, I told my wife that I was going to work a few shifts and put a machine gun on my truck. She only said I needed to check with the local police to be sure it was legal. So, yesterday, per my wife's admonition, I went down to our small city's PD, and spoke with them, saying I wanted to put a non-firing MG replica on my truck, and that I did not intend to intimidate or scare the local populace. He just said "no problem", just try to not make us have to deal with too many calls. " And we would love to see your "gun truck" when you have it done. Somethings are just easier to do in the South.

I have since been talking BMG who has a bewildering array of machine gun pedestals and gun mounts and ammo trays and travel bars and such, and he suggested a high quality replica for a m1919A4 30 cal gun, the aircooled barrel one, from Rogue Island arsenal, and so after a discussion with the latter, have such a gun coming in 3-4 weeks to put in the bed of my truck. And I won't drive around with it uncovered, and try to intimidate others, or just be a Road Bully, but put the gun on for "special occasions." When I was an Advisor in Vietnam, our compounds were protected by these guns, but I have very little experience with them, having a lot more experience with the M60 guns. Being a Korean War era truck, I want a gun from the same era.

I'll get back to you all later.

NV
W_A_Watson_II
SFC
SFC

Re: First post-rebuild drive and the Machine Gun

Post by W_A_Watson_II »

Very Nice, look forward to more updates and pictures.
Thanks,
Will
1946 Dodge Power Wagon
1953 Dodge M37 - "Frankenstein"
My 1953 Dodge M37 WEB Site
Cal_Gary

Re: First post-rebuild drive and the Machine Gun

Post by Cal_Gary »

Awesome job Nam Vet! I assume you're getting the M24 machine gun mount? Those aren't cheap!

Glad to hear you're rolling through the little bugs we all face when we start driving our rigs. Gotta drive all the bugs out, right Andy (ASHYERS)?
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500