Maybe a CUCV too!

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Maybe a CUCV too!

Post by NAM VET »

Wife and I are out to SE Nebraska for family time, and in her small city (more appropriately big town), there is a surplus army truck dealer, mostly big stuff, flatbeds, five tons, and wreckers and such. His primary occupation is using his army wreckers to pull sunk farm machinery out of fields, and semi's out from under bridges and such. Takes really big machinery to do that sort of recovery. Last summer, I bought some accessories for my then just acquired M37, although he is primarily a Big Surplus Truck dealer. He has this nifty M114, he put a replacement motor in it. We had those in Germany when I was there in '69 - '70, company commanders had them, the rest of us were ridding in M113's. Some of the 114's had these potent 30mm Vulcan's on them. The driver of our CO's M114 panicked on a lake exercise, and swam away from his leaking 114, and we watched it sink to the top of the antennae.

The local chap has these two awesome Unimogs, army surplus, with shovels on the front, and back hoe's on the rear. An so contractors can keep building them for the military.

Dropped by today, and got all interested in a pristine CUCV, surface rust only on the frame, has a gas 350 in it, has the racks for M16's in it. Saw that it was a unit's Commander's vehicle, so no wonder it is so nice. Wife says "maybe", and the price is well below what beat and rusty ones seem to sell for.

I can't post any pictures yet of the 114 or the CUCV (he has several) 'till I get home next week.

I drove HUMVE's a lot in Desert Storm, and CUCV's too.

NV
Juan
SGT
SGT

Re: Maybe a CUCV too!

Post by Juan »

Love the M1009, the only thing it needs is A/C
But that's just me, I may be growing old.
Juan Castro
Buenos Aires
Argentina
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

I'm with Juan, AC would be very nice, especially here in Sunny VA.
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

[quote="NAM VET"
The local chap has these two awesome Unimogs, army surplus, with shovels on the front, and back hoe's on the rear. An so contractors can keep building them for the military.

Dropped by today, and got all interested in a pristine CUCV, surface rust only on the frame, has a gas 350 in it, has the racks for M16's in it. Saw that it was a unit's Commander's vehicle, so no wonder it is so nice. Wife says "maybe", and the price is well below what beat and rusty ones seem to sell for.

[/quote]
Hey Doc, The engineer trucks you saw might actually be Mercedes-Benz trucks. The engineer unit we shared the armory with had them in the 90 and early 2000.

350 gas motor has to have been a repower because cucv's should have a 6.2l Diesel in them. Is it a M1008 pick up or the M1009 "Blazer"? If it's the blazer and has a 350 in it it just might be the one I made in the early 90s. Took a civilian Blazer and militarized it. Sold it in 1993 to buy a new Ford F-250. Still wish I had that truck. :D
M37s are HMMWV in my world!