24v mechanical voltage regulator adjustment

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

RDTm37

24v mechanical voltage regulator adjustment

Post by RDTm37 »

Looking for info on rebuilding/adusting original 25amp regulator
I believe TM9-2320-209-35 would be helpful.

Voltage at the batteries is around 31v and I keep burning up coils...
I'm so bummed, installed a new chrome coil (I ordered a GI coil but received this)... push button start... idled smooth, accelerated seemingly well with no load... shut it off after it got warm... hooked up timing light...started up again smooth idle, then went erratic fell on its face and stalled...
New carter carb
New fuel pump
New intake and exhaust
New cap and rotor
New plugs
New wires
New points and condensor
New timing chain
New sprockets
New water pump
New wire harness
New B1 blinker kit (which I believe has been cooked by the regulator)

I love this truck, it is a childhood dream come true.... turned nightmare
just me
1SG
1SG

Re: 24v mechanical voltage regulator adjustment

Post by just me »

There is a PDF on one of the Jeep forums that is the excerpt of the Autolite manual. The only problem is it is predicated on you having the military gauge set. It doesn't give the specs on making your own gauges. I just put in a solid state regulator to eliminate the inconvenience.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
RDTm37

Post by RDTm37 »

Thank you for the advice... I've done my best to keep original equipment and hope to fix this regulator. I like to think if a man can build it I can fix it...
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

You'll want a copy of TM 9-1825B, dated November 1952. In addition to the voltage regulator, it covers all of the AutoLite parts: generators, distributors (ignitors), and starters.

Try here: http://themanualguys.com/303.1%20~%20Tr ... 201952.htm
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

RDTm37 wrote:Thank you for the advice... I've done my best to keep original equipment and hope to fix this regulator. I like to think if a man can build it I can fix it...
Aye, and that is truth. But sometimes the effort is higher than the worth. I've seen the gauge sets for sale, but never for under $200. That is a lot for something you will only use twice. Maybe.
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

the surplus truck dealer I have mentioned in another thread had an Army tester in a case, with instructions for checking the generators, distributors, ignition and a few other items, with diagrams how to hook up the big connectors, by Sun. If you are interested in it, let me know and I can put you in touch with him.

NV
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Hal, that is most likely the adapter cable set. The regulator adjusting set is a small tool roll of little gauge blocks, springs and wires. A few little odd shaped gizmos for bending (adjusting) the contact points.
Anyone who has a 24v truck should own the adapter set.
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

yes it is the short stout cable set, not the gages or other.

NV
Marmalute
PFC
PFC

Post by Marmalute »

As Elwood mentioned already the place to go is your TM9-1825B. Start with paragraph 42, which is a general troubleshooting program. Generally speaking voltages that high (31 volts) will cause some visual signs inside the regulator. If I recall right, the voltage upper end is like 28.4 volts. Its possible that you have some shorted contacts. Reading through the section on voltage regulation of all the types should give anyone a good working knowledge of how the different coils do what they do.
Assuming you have a VBC 4002-UT or similar regulator, the basic theory applies, it's just that the box is better shielded and "waterproofed". Tapping into the wires for active testing is difficult without the adapter cables, but it is worth checking for obvious sights and ( burnt) smells, minor cleaning and adjustment of air gaps and hinge gaps and the like, all of those specs are in TM9-1825B.
A good quality low impedance volt/ohm tester seems to work fine.
Do be careful! 28 volts is considerable potential and it is wise to respect it. You can effectively weld with that kind of voltage so be mindful of what you are doing. A simple act of touching your wedding ring to the wrong place and arcing to ground could ruin your day or even your marriage.
But on the other hand, it's not rocket surgery. Get a manual and check it out!
Good luck, Doug
RDTm37

Post by RDTm37 »

Thank you everyone for all the advice. I really appreciate it.
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

You might also want to view these as a general primer on mechanical vibrator generator regulators:

http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/Lit/ ... /index.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRk1xbJIBcY
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776