Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Marine Flathead on CL, Hmmmm...

Post by ashyers »

This is just far enough away...

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/bpo/6139965149.html

I've been looking at the photos and it appears this thing has drives on both ends of the crankshaft. Pretty interesting setup. I'm guessing it's a 25" engine.
Jess
SSGT
SSGT

Re: Marine Flathead on CL, Hmmmm...

Post by Jess »

Chrysler Crown marine engines were once very common in older fishboats and pleasure craft. I think they were available in various displacements 251, 260 etc and would have had all the auxiliary stuff like pumps and other things that required main engine power to operate. If you google Chrysler Crown, I think you would find a lot of good information. Many still running in classic boats around where I live.
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

Jess,
Thanks, I'll look them up. That setup sure looks heavy!!!

Andy
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

Likely some internal rust??

NV
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

ashyers wrote:This is just far enough away...

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/bpo/6139965149.html

I've been looking at the photos and it appears this thing has drives on both ends of the crankshaft. Pretty interesting setup. I'm guessing it's a 25" engine.
Typical marine conversion is to have the drive from the "front" end of the engine, to allow for the downward mounting angle in the hull, necessary for the propeller shaft. If the drive were from the flywheel end as in normal automotive practice, the engine would have to sit much higher from the keel.

The ad doesn't specify, but that engine might also be reverse rotation, with a special cam and accessories. But even if it's not reverse rotation, you'd have to make a number of changes to adapt it for truck use.

Chrysler sold marine versions of most, if not all of their flatheads. The small block flathead was the "Ace", the big block flathead was the "Crown", the straight eight was the "Royal", and the heavy duty truck only Big Six flathead was the "Majestic".

The strangest Chrysler marine engine, however, had to be the Space-Saver Slant Six.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776