Looking for advice...

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

RDTm37

Looking for advice...

Post by RDTm37 »

Truck will start and idle smoothly then sputters back fires and usually dies.. I have replaced stock fuel pump carb(carter b&b) plugs, wires, cap and rotor, points, condensor.... etc
Seems it's getting too much fuel, it will sometimes leak down the Crank case vent tube... but it is a rebuilt carb from Vintage and we have checked and rechecked the float....
Any thoughts tips or advice will be greatly appreciated
just me
1SG
1SG

Re: Looking for advice...

Post by just me »

First thing I would check would be ta needle and seat issue maybe caused by too high fuel pressure or bad needle.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
RDTm37

Post by RDTm37 »

Thank you, for the advice...
I thought that the stock fuel pump wouldn't need a fuel pressure regulator. But maybe I should look into installing one.
When I got the carb rebuild kit for the original B&B it came with a rubber tipped needle, but originally there was a brass (?) tipped needle. Not sure what the rebuilt carb from vinTage has installed... would you recommend one over the other?
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

I like the metal one nowadays. Modern fuels can eat the rubber ones if they aren't compounded for the alcohol.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
RDTm37

Post by RDTm37 »

Ended up testing the coil again just for sh!t$ and giggles.... way out of spec. Ill be ordering that asap. It's the second coil for a vehicle that hasn't driven 15 miles in 5 years.....
All I know is that I have replaced or rebuilt everything except the block. Jeffery (as we call him) aught to be one reliable truck, once running.
Thanks again, I'll update this post as soon I get the coil installed