Dead Batteries Yesterday

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Carter
1SG
1SG

Dead Batteries Yesterday

Post by Carter »

After trying to start the truck found I had left the battery ground solenoid in the on position for several weeks and batteries were so dead that my new 24v charger had no effect after sitting for many hours. Hmmm, what to do now? then I decided to try my new to me 1968 generator which makes 28vdc at 105 amps. The set started after 4 pulls of the rope then It ran until warmed up then I connected the slave cables to the drivers side receptacle turned on the gen sets circuit breaker and the truck fired easily with no noticeable strain on the set and it's little 4 cyl. engine. Shut the unit down but left the T245 running until the volt meter showed the indicator in the green. Worked like I had hoped when I bought the set last Aberdeen Rally for $250 with only 188 shoeing on the Hobbs meter.

Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Re: Dead Batteries Yesterday

Post by HingsingM37 »

Well that worked out well. At $250.00 you got a good deal. Handy to have around. :)
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

"Do Not Take Counsel of Your Fears"
General George S. Patton Jr.

"Those who pound their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not".
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

Nice score, Carter.

Does that gen unit have a direct slave receptacle plug in, or did you have to adapt to the 28vdc terminals visible in the first photo?
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

It was a good deal David, I had to remove and clean the carb plugged with dead gasoline goo but it runs well now and am happy I finally had a chance to use it but should have never left the solenoid on in the first place.

Elwood, yes it does have a slave receptacle plug in however I only have one plug on my cables so connected using the terminals. Plan to get another plug from Saturn Surplus then be able to plug in both ends. I just used what I had on hand at the time.
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.