Restomod m37 video

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

justindearb
PVT
PVT

Restomod m37 video

Post by justindearb »

Hello everybody I need a reasonably detailed video of how I built my M37 and my 251 Chrysler engine hope you all enjoy thank you
https://youtu.be/PqEY8iqlPMc
Cal_Gary

Re: Restomod m37 video

Post by Cal_Gary »

Hi Justin,
Thanks for sharing your story with us! You've put a lot of thought and work into your truck and the data you've shared will certainly be most helpful as an archive for others to use when building their trucks.

Well done!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
NCM
PFC
PFC

Post by NCM »

Thanks for the video. Where did you source the 251?
hwo1990

Post by hwo1990 »

Nice job on the video and the truck!! Did I hear you correctly that you had Bob Stahl do your differentials? Also sounds like your somewhere in new england, I'm in Kingston MA. When I get my truck on the road I hope to see you around.

- Hugh
1954 M37 W/OW "Nellie Belle"
m15256
CPL
CPL

Post by m15256 »

Hey Justin,

Did you use the T98?
You found a flywheel for an 11" clutch?

We'll be up to see you soon. Rick
RICK
M 152 CDN
M 56 (V41)
kelley
PFC
PFC

Post by kelley »

Hi Justin,
Great video, thanks for taking the time and effort to make it. I remember checking out your truck and chatting with you at the Weare, NH rally a couple of summers ago, that thing is really cool.
My M37 has a stock 230 that runs great, has good compression and oil pressure, but has no balls, especially on hills. it would take me all day to climb up hill from Fitchburg, Ma to Weare, NH.
Do you have any suggestions on how to perk up a 230 without starting over?
Thanks,
Jon Kelley
shadow 9er
PVT
PVT

Post by shadow 9er »

Justin,

I enjoyed your video very much! You included a lot of great information!

Thanks!
Tuko
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Tuko »

Love the blue rope. My sentiments exactly. Build it how you want it not how others view as correct. At least it's still on the road and not in the crusher.
51 Dodge M37 W/W 4BT/NV4500

My G741 Registry Entry
justindearb
PVT
PVT

Post by justindearb »

hello everyone sorry i have not got back to everyone been busy, thanks for all the good positive comments,
as far as perking up the 230 there are tons of aftermarket parts for them i would say raise the compression by shaving the head at least .060 then address intake and exhaust manifolds you could do a E7T2 carb but if the truck is all original you probably dont want to loose the stock air filter elbow and such, i would consider welding 2 outlets on the ex manifold all this will help but it still wont be a rocket just will help it keep steam a little bit up the hills do you have 4.89s? cuz that reall sucks power haha, i would say the next phase would be camshaft grind but at that point your getting deep

I got my 251 from bob stahl just shit luck he had a really good complete one at the time

i live in Hopkinton NH just north of concord
justindearb
PVT
PVT

Post by justindearb »

iam also using the stock trans and a HD 10.5" clutch from AB linn, its a 10.5" disk and PP but sprung with much heavier clamping springs works great, i have 3 acme T98's but i cant find a PTO to fit so i will not sacrifice my winch for a syncro trans so if anybody has a CDN PTO laying around let me know haha
justindearb
PVT
PVT

Post by justindearb »

oh and also my flywheel is a industrial 8 bolt flange which came with my 8 bolt crank and it has both 10,10.5 and 11" PP bolt patterns on it so its kinda like a universal flywheel
Jess
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Jess »

The Acme PTO to fit the CDN Acme T98 transmission is getting pretty rare. Specific parts like the reverse idler are impossible to find. Sid Beck apparently had a bunch of CDN surplus parts and when he passed away, the stock was bought by Brent Mullins Jeep. I have tried email, phoning ect to see if they had any of these bits but never got the courtesy of a reply or a straight answer and gave up on them. I guess there is more money In armour or whatever and its not worth their time. Since there were less Canadian trucks built and even less of them had winches, it pot luck in finding one. If you know where any CDN trucks are sitting rotting away, its always worth looking to see if it has a pto still attached. The winches are the first to go, but the ptos often have been left behind. Good hunting....
justindearb
PVT
PVT

Post by justindearb »

HAHA i remember talking to you on the phone about this subject a couple years ago you sent me some info still havent had any luck
Jess
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Jess »

Time goes by too quickly. We did find a replacement pto for my friend who lived in Churchill, Manitoba. After having an idler gear copied from one of mine, and it running way too noisy, Bill ended up getting a complete Acme pto from a local member on here. I'm still hunting for that stash of idle gears that someone has and doesn't know what they are. With the idler gear, and already available parts for the more common US model pto, we could convert as many as there was demand for. Bill Lammers had a CDN truck W/W that he was selling some time ago. If he wasn't so far from me, I would have considered buying it just for the winch, shaft and pto and got the truck for nothing.
justindearb
PVT
PVT

Post by justindearb »

i dont find myself needing a t98 the stock tranny shifts well i guess im just used to it