Source for rubber seals for floor panels?

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Source for rubber seals for floor panels?

Post by NAM VET »

Any suggestions for a source for the rubber seals under things like the splash panels, or something suitable, that won't promote rust for under the cab floor panels, before I start to put these parts back together? Lots of progress yesterday. Maybe motor back next week, so I can order the proper pistons and such.

all the best,

NV
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Re: Source for rubber seals for floor panels?

Post by ashyers »

The orig. mat'l. was felt that was glued to the panels. I've been running nothing and have not had issues. I'd be cautious of using anything that was "sticky" as removing the panels would be a bear.
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

I did peel off the felt under the in-cab floor panels, and found they promote rust with water retention. So thinking this over, I think I will pick up some used innertube and cut strips of rubber out of it for a seal. I will let you know how this works out for me. Did get to spend about 3 hours outside this afternoon, mostly again using my grinder to clean up some of the metal I have off the truck, after scrubbing with Simple Green and then blasting away with my power washer. Then some Ospho on a few places of corrosion.

all the best...

NV
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

If you are looking for an easy way, I used 3M pipe wrap 'tape'. You can get it in nearly any needed width. I use a punch for the holes and scissors to trim.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
RParker

Post by RParker »

Try plumbers putty.
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

Not that I'm recommending the felt seals for a truck that is driven in wet conditions, but if you want the original stuff, these guys are an OEM supplier to the auto industry: http://www.sutherlandfelt.com. They have a consumer webstore at: http://www.thefeltcompany.com/, but not everything they offer is available on the webstore, so you might have to contact one of their sales staff.

I recently purchased some felt cord from them for the wicks in the Auto-Lite ignitors (distributors), since it's an odd diameter. They were good to work with.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

thanks to all above. I bought some inch+ wide black, thin plumber's tape. I want something that will not hold water, and just keep the metals from touching. I'll see how this works.

thanks,

NV
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

EPDM rubber strips are the best I've found as it is material designed for this type of application. Makes a really neat job, without adhesives, and EPDM rubber holds up great to ozone and in all atmospheric conditions. Stay away from Buna-N rubber as that is designed for oil sealing applications, and does not hold up well in areas where oil is not present. Appropriate width & thicknesses available from McMaster-Carr. We have repaired many a floor pan because of felt holding moisture which caused rust out damage, I never figured out why they would use that, just makes no sense. The problem with using strips cut from used inner tubes is this, this solution is short lived. Once an inner tube is removed from a tire and is introduced to outside elements, it cracks and dry rots rather quickly; so unless you want to do it all over again soon, that isn't a good option.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com