how do i get this pin out?

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

NAM VET
1SG
1SG

how do i get this pin out?

Post by NAM VET »

started to gently raise my motor, and then noted that a pin/clevis which engages the PTO was still engaged, so set the engine back down, and after about four hours, I still cannot get this clevis pin out. Took an hour to get the cotter out, but no matter what I tray, pliers, pry bars, even a C clamp, I just cannot get the pin out, which is all I need to get the engine out. I am posting a picture, the pin in question is the green oily one in the center of the picture. Cannot get a hammer on the free end, and it is under a welded panel, so can't get to it from the cab. I pulled off the spring under the frame, so it isn't under any load. Any hints for me?

[URL=http://s663.photobucket.com/user/h ... .jpg[/img][/url]
j mccormick
CPL
CPL

Re: how do i get this pin out?

Post by j mccormick »

You'll probably have to heat it to free it up. Used to that kind of stuff here in the rust belt!

Joe
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

well, my plan in the AM is to put heat on it, then hit it with some of the canned freeze-off, and maybe try several cycles of that and see if I can get it out. It is the only thing holding me up now.

I'll check in with my results soon.

NV
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

Pickle fork along with the heat, I would be concerned about freezing it after heating it, you might break/shatter the rod ending?
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

That looks like your clutch linkage, not the PTO. But there's something odd about the way those clutch linkage pieces are assembled... :?

What about the other linkage connection points? Can you get to them instead? Maybe remove the lever from the end of the clutch fork (the shaft that goes into the bellhousing), or the lever from the end of the clutch pedal shaft?
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

my error, it is the clutch release arm.

thanks for the above suggestions.

NV
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

Nam Vet, I looked at the exploded parts diagram from the ORD 9 SNL for the clutch linkage, and I'm wondering if maybe someone hasn't reversed the positions of the two clutch linkage levers (K and N)? I can't see the lever on the clutch pedal rod to know, or maybe I'm just not looking at the photo correctly...

“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

Elwood, thanks for posting the picture. Sure enough, my K and N are reversed. Some motor pool mechanic long ago must have been reading the TM upside down on his workbench. Funny how one's mind continues to churn thru solutions when we sleep. Woke up several times with new thoughts on removing the pin. I think I will work the clutch pedal a few times, perhaps with more Kano it may loosen up. Then, I am pretty sure I can get a long woodworking clamp on the inner pin end, and some part of the frame, put some heat on the connection, then rap it with some rod and a hammer, and see if I can pop it loose. I have checked under the frame, and the other end of the clevis rod is even harder to get to both ends. Sooner or later, it will come out. But your picture posted above gives me guidance to putting it back together correctly. I was going to attend a competition IDPA shoot today, but decided to continue to get this pin out. Then the motor should lift out, and I can get started on breaking it down.

I did find I needed a threaded engine leveler to pull the motor, just lifting on the eye bolted to the head resulted in the heavy transmission tipping the engine front up, too high to let the rear motor mount clear the frame. So went back to Northern Tool, and bought it, and then removed four head bolts, they came out a little rusty, but did not break off, so cleaned and oiled the threads, and put the leveler L arms under them, and reinstalled the four head bolts. I could use them again if I had too, but will get new head studs or bolts for the rebuild.

Thanks, and I'll report back.

Sipping hot coffee by the fire, munching on some left over Christmas Liebkuchen cookies, waiting for the sun to come up. Was a beautiful moon last night. Went up to Charlotte for a nice Chinese dinner.

I really do think sometimes when we are stumped by some task, it is helpful to just walk away for awhile, sometimes a solution will come. Thanks to all...

NV
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

Interesting, I was just looking at figure 25 on page 45 of TM9-8031..., "power train, body and frame for 3/4 4X4....", and that picture does indeed show my linkage to be correct, and not reversed. So my linkage is correct for my particular engine/transmission set-up. Just one of those running changes, I suppose. Who knows. This TM supersedes the Nov '52 version, and is dated '53.

Nv
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

engine out, about to go on the stand, details to follow.

NV
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

after a leisurely breakfast, went out to try some new tactic to get the clevis pin out of the clutch arm. Tried heat, a woodworking clamp, rapping on it, but no progress, so rolled under the truck to look again at the other end of the clevis, which had seemed even harder to reach, and found the cotter there came right out, and the pin slipped right out. Checked the other pin later, and it is a press fit, and was not going to come out. I will remedy that when I reinstall it.

Hooked up my new hoist, and found it difficult to get the rear mounts free of the frame points, but eventually, got it free of those brackets, and found that the TM showing the rather extreme angle the engine had to come out is true. It was a real chore to do get the engine clear of the truck by myself. Hard to reach the hoist jack handle, and at the same time reach around to the motor to shove and turn and push that heavy beast.

The leveler helped a lot, so then set the whole shebang down and removed a grease caked transmission, which must weigh 100 plus pounds! Then, again with the leveler, figured out which of the four thousand possible ways to bolt the engine to the stand arms, after zipping over to my local ACE to get some long enough grade 8 bolts, hoping they really are grade 8 and not just the right color. But first pulled off the bell housing, then the flywheel, marking anything that is likely to be balanced together with dabs of white paint. Topped by a local HWY 55 for a Carolina style burger and fries, and lots of diet coke when I was at the ACE.

Then started stripping the motor, finding that every fastener easy to remove. Yesterday, went to my local Fastenal and bought over $150 worth of grade 8 bolts, in all the threads and lengths of those I have been pulling off. Per my usual, took lots of pictures and bagged and labeled what I took off, replacing fasteners as I went.

I got it about done, and decided to come in for home made corn bread and a hot bowl of my wife's ham and bean soup. I need to make up some sort of engine stand to get it to the machine shop. But enough for today. You can get it out by yourself, but two guys sure would make it quicker. I still have all my fingers, too.

All the best guys.

NV
[URL=http://s663.photobucket.com/user/h ... .jpg[/img][/url]

NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

I am continuing this saga on the builder's bog.

NV
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

going to follow you
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA