Source for SS armored brake line sets?

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

06boblee
SFC
SFC

Source for SS armored brake line sets?

Post by 06boblee »

Does anyone have a source for a stainless steel armored brake line set? I have had no luck finding a listing for the M37- or even the power wagon of the same vintage. Vintage power wagon has a set listed, but it is not SS, and I can't tell if it is armored or not.
Thanks,
'54 M37 wew
MVPA #16921
just me
1SG
1SG

Re: Source for SS armored brake line sets?

Post by just me »

VPW set is armored and a duplicate of the original. I have it and the fuel lines. Hint: do them both at the same time. When you go from the center cross member to the radiator, you will understand.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

I searched about a year ago, and didn't find any pre-made sets. So I bought the stainless tubing and armor from Summit Racing, and the proper tools to straighten, bend, cut, and flare it.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
06boblee
SFC
SFC

Post by 06boblee »

Elwood wrote:I searched about a year ago, and didn't find any pre-made sets. So I bought the stainless tubing and armor from Summit Racing, and the proper tools to straighten, bend, cut, and flare it.
I'm leaning towards that route myself, I have found sources for straight pieces of armored SS tubing, I was hoping for a "drop in" deal. Probably a lot cheaper to fabricate it myself too.
'54 M37 wew
MVPA #16921
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

06boblee wrote:
Elwood wrote:I searched about a year ago, and didn't find any pre-made sets. So I bought the stainless tubing and armor from Summit Racing, and the proper tools to straighten, bend, cut, and flare it.
I'm leaning towards that route myself, I have found sources for straight pieces of armored SS tubing, I was hoping for a "drop in" deal. Probably a lot cheaper to fabricate it myself too.
After buying all of the tools, I'm not sure my brake lines will be cheaper. :lol:

The P clamps to attach the brake and fuel lines to the truck frame can also be found in stainless from places like Eastwood, with rubber isolators if desired.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

I too have put a lot of thought into how to replace my brake (and fuel lines, fuel injection hose for the latter). I hope to have my truck's bed off soon, although I don't intend to remove the cab, I just lack confidence to get all the wiring and such back together properly, and besides, my front frame is pretty unrusty, from the oil and grease drips up front over the years. Paint still fine up there.

My tentative plan is to buy the copper/nickel lines from Fedhill, they seem easy to work with, then slip some aftermarket protective coil wrap over them, and hook it all up. I have new brake cylinders for the rear. With the bed off, should be a lot easier to accomplish, plus can refurbish the rear frame and parts with some sort of protective coating ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4-Brake-Line- ... 1476925428 )But I too have to decide how to make double flares, and wanting a foolproof connection, will likely rent the nifty tool from Fedhill, their video shows perfect flares in a seconds. The Fedhill tubing apparently bends nicely. I think it will be a lot easier to work with than stainless lines. But then, no automotive project I have ever started went off without some sort of hitch.

Hoping to get my modern flasher today, I think the reason for my replacement 900 system not flashing is because the one I got from one of our vendors appears to be ancient, and likely from long ago, with some corrosion and odd sized male spade connectors, for which I can't find female connectors.

Like I said, no project I have ever done has gone to completion without some sort of "hitch".

Now, off to see my oncologist, and hoping for good news.

NAM VET
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Simple hint for DIY armored tubing. PUT THE ARMOR ON BEFORE YOU FLARE THE END! That is all.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
j mccormick
CPL
CPL

Post by j mccormick »

I've been using nickle/copper lines in my auto repair business for the past couple years, and it is so much easier to bend and work with than steel lines or stainless.
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

x2 on the cupro / conifer / copper nickel brake lines. right stuff detailing produces stainless bullet proofing https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/ ... /overview/
.............................. use it ...............
milstencil
CPL
CPL

Post by milstencil »

Try these for brake line and fittings: http://store.fedhillusa.com/
Rick
Resident of the Communist state of Massachusetts, home of failed
health care and failed gun control! See what the Democrats can do
when they control both houses.
http://www.militarystencils.com
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

just me wrote:Simple hint for DIY armored tubing. PUT THE ARMOR ON BEFORE YOU FLARE THE END! That is all.
So true. But it's the sort of mistake that you (hopefully) only make once. :lol:
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi Guys,

Does paint stick any better to the nickel/copper lines than it does to stainless?

Inline Tube can copy your old lines in either stainless or steel and send both sets back to you in just a few days. I don't know if they offer the nickel/copper........but I might just have to ask.

regards,
bob
52PLOWERWAGON
SFC
SFC

Post by 52PLOWERWAGON »

inlinetube.com maybe
Thanks,TRAVIS
When it comes to gambling I don't play the Powerball, I play the Powerwagon

1952 M37 FARM TRUCK
230 W/THRUSH EXHAUST, DELETED HEAT RISER AND 12 VOLT IGNITION

1941 WC RATROD
w/ 5 TON MULTIFUEL TURBO DIESEL
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Simple hint for DIY armored tubing. PUT THE ARMOR ON BEFORE YOU FLARE THE END! That is all.
Yeah, and also put both nuts on before you flare the second end.

If I had a dollar for each time I screwed that up............ :mrgreen:

regards,
bob
06boblee
SFC
SFC

Post by 06boblee »

After looking around and listening to all of you,, I am going to use the Fedhill nicop tubing. I will armor it up . This stuff seems to be the way to go, supposed to be very easy to work with. I'll let you know. I am using Inline tubes SS flexible hose.
Attachments
DSC00791 (Small).JPG
DSC00791 (Small).JPG (118.51 KiB) Viewed 2278 times
'54 M37 wew
MVPA #16921