Need special wrench to remove distributor lead?

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Need special wrench to remove distributor lead?

Post by NAM VET »

My truck is still about 100 miles away at my son's work garage, so I can't check this out for myself. But one of the first things I want to do in a couple of weeks, when I am able to handle the pedals (recovering from a new knee) is to check the cylinder compression. Of course, I want to stop any spark from causing me troubles, and I will turn of the fuel shut off too. I see where the M 37 truck parts dealers sell a special tool for removing the distributor wire, but is this necessary to do so? If it is, then I will order it now to have on hand. And by the way, my M 42 has the shielded OEM plug wires, and is it difficult to remove the connector at the plug, and are the plugs then removable with a standard plug socked? Any suggestions for the torque when I re-install the the plugs? And I usually put some copper anti-seize on my plugs, any issues with this plan?

Since I can't yet work on my truck I am getting the wood today to make the bed boards. I can do that here now.

Thanks, guys

NAM VET, in upstate SC
[URL=http://s663.photobucket.com/user/h ... .jpg[/img][/url]
W_A_Watson_II
SFC
SFC

Re: Need special wrench to remove distributor lead?

Post by W_A_Watson_II »

Assuming it's still a foot pedal starter, just leave the power/ignition switch off and crank it with the starter pedal.
Thanks,
Will
1946 Dodge Power Wagon
1953 Dodge M37 - "Frankenstein"
My 1953 Dodge M37 WEB Site
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

Hello Hal,

Plug wire disconnect is no major issue and easily done with regular hand tools. The spark plug comes out with a regular spark plug wrench and the torque specs are in your TM for the engine. If you are planning on removing the plug wires at the distributor, I have found it easier with a crow foot style of wrench.

Hope this answers your question.

I agree with Will, no need to disconnect everything, just leave ignition off and step on the starter button.

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

yup, good information for me, thanks to both of you. I have the floor mounted starter switch, so should be easy as pie.

Then again, when working on vehicles, especially elderly ones, nothing is easy as pie.

Bought some nice stout clear pine today, brought it home and have just completed removing the sharp edges with a round over bit on my router. One step at a time.

thanks again,

hal aka NAM VET
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

NAM VET wrote:yup, good information for me, thanks to both of you. I have the floor mounted starter switch, so should be easy as pie.

Then again, when working on vehicles, especially elderly ones, nothing is easy as pie.

Bought some nice stout clear pine today, brought it home and have just completed removing the sharp edges with a round over bit on my router. One step at a time.

thanks again,

hal aka NAM VET
Actually in performing a compression test, it is easier to just pull forward on the starter switch lever by hand. This enables holding the pressure gauge in one hand and activating the starter with the other instead of climbing in a out of the cab or having a second person to press the pedal. Makes a compression test a simple one man job.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Post by ZGjethro »

I needed a tool for the distributor leads so I made one out of a deep socket and some 1/4" rod. I just welded an L shaped piece of rod to the socket and cut a big slot into the socket. I found it to be way handier than crows foot wrenches. If I hadn't needed the tool right then, then buying the factory made wrench would be easier
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

I just found the several above posts about the distributor lead, so a belated thanks to all of you. Felt good to finally have tools in my hands after months of anxious waiting for my knee to heal sufficiently to allow me to actually drive my Command M 37. Had fun driving it across town to pick up my Northern Tool engine hoist, stopped by a car wash to get some of the dried grease and oil off the undercarriage. But I went prepared, old sweat shirt, a creeper to let me get down and dirty, and shield goggles. What a mess, but nice to see such hardly rusted frame and parts, one of the advantages of oozing grease and oil, I am sure. Even the backing plates look a lot better with a good scrub. I played around with my Signal Stat 600 and old Army junction box, but while the box clicks, I found a frayed and shorted wire where they go down the steering shaft. I suspect something in the box, which seems clean and dry inside, is FUBAR. So, based on so many suggestions here, will order a 900, and get on with it.

And as for my question several days ago about the big nut on what should be the box adjusting screw, further review shows it to be just a big locking nut, not a bolt. I just expected something smaller with a projecting threaded adjustment screw. Everything on these trucks is truly massive and overbuilt.

Also wondered why the swing arm for the hood vent did not do anything, and found the link connector between the arm and the pivot was broken off, so drilled those out and put in a small stainless bolt, works fine now. I am nowhere near capable of what some of you forum members accomplish, weld this, rebuild that, but I think I can handle the simple things, hand-tool sorts of things. And I did unwind the straw from the bird's nest on a rear wheel hub.

Now, off to a weekend down in Charleston. Love this State. Thanks to all of you, have a warming spring.

NAM VET
52PLOWERWAGON
SFC
SFC

Post by 52PLOWERWAGON »

yes everything on these trucks is over built

a had a dodge guy over one day when I was working on my m37 and he told me ,
that is not a truck ...............that is a machine :mrgreen:
Thanks,TRAVIS
When it comes to gambling I don't play the Powerball, I play the Powerwagon

1952 M37 FARM TRUCK
230 W/THRUSH EXHAUST, DELETED HEAT RISER AND 12 VOLT IGNITION

1941 WC RATROD
w/ 5 TON MULTIFUEL TURBO DIESEL
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

When the flat bed driver came to pick my M42 at my son's home in Columbia, SC, to bring it back the 84 miles to my home near Charlotte, he commented "what a beast!", and when driving it with my riding along, he commented "your truck is a heavy load, that's for sure." Turns out, I had once taken care of his daughter in a Pediatric Urgent care place up near Charlotte. Fortunately, she got better with my suggestions for him and his wife. Small world.

Spoke with Charles at M37 Rebuild up in NC yesterday, I think I will just drive my truck up to his place, not too far, and let him find and fix my driving wandering. He believes it is the ball on the pitman, as I have read before, and can build up and then machine to spec. Ordered a Signal Stat 900 today, will see if i can get it working, to replace the OEM relay box on firewall now. Bought a nice engine hoist at Northern Tool yesterday.

progress.......

NAM VET