Leaking Oil Pan Gasket Replaced.

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Carter
1SG
1SG

Re: Leaking Oil Pan Gasket Replaced.

Post by Carter »

carolinamv wrote:Just did mine today , gonna let it sit for a day or so , add oil and see if it worked.

I think I crushed one gasket on pass side though.... I bet it leaks.

What kind of gasket is it, Cork or fiber like FelPro? Cork can crush and leak if the pan bolts are torqued to much.
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
carolinamv
SSGT
SSGT

Post by carolinamv »

Its the ones from Midwest, the cork front and rear are ok , I trimmed them a tiny bit , so that's probably going to be an issue also , but it was the pass side gasket or of the other material I think I torqued down a bit too hard and tore it .

What page or manual is the oil pan gasket explained or done? It seems no one has a direct answer to that. I couldn't put my pan bolts in by hand then turn them 1/4 or 1/2 because they get stuck and I has to use a wrench to lightly screw them in and stop when I thought its snug.
-Jay

MVPA#31295
Military Vehicle Collectors of Colorado
http://www.mvcconline.org
3/3 CAV HWB
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

Instructions are in TM 9-1840A Ordnance Maintenance Engine (Dodge Model T-245) & Clutch (Borg and Beck Model 11828) on page 101. paragraph J. My copy is dated 1952.
carolinamv wrote:...... I trimmed them a tiny bit , so that's probably going to be an issue also ,
Yes probably, the book states; "Place new end gaskets in position. Do not cut off the ends of the end gaskets as they will be compressed into place when the pan is installed.
Carter
Life Member:
carolinamv
SSGT
SSGT

Post by carolinamv »

Thanks for the direction on the TM, I'm sure I can do it again next weekend. Good practice ...
-Jay

MVPA#31295
3/3 CAV HWB
carolinamv
SSGT
SSGT

Post by carolinamv »

I replaced mine today the correct way, still might have snugged the bolts up too much but it was harder to do with the cork not being trimmed and the gaskets wanting to overlap and the pan not wanting to sit flush because of the cork.

I also use Halomar this time.
-Jay

MVPA#31295
3/3 CAV HWB
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

I have installed many pans since my first truck needed one in 1972. It is harder to do as the alignment is not easy without trimming the ends but that's not the way army mechanics were supposed to do it, only by the manual. To maintain pan/block hole alignment I made 4 guide pins from bolts with the heads cut off screwed into the block which do aid in the install and adding bolts slightly longer at the 4 corners will also help.
Carter
Life Member:
carolinamv
SSGT
SSGT

Post by carolinamv »

Carter, That is about what I did when putting mine back together. I had 4 very slightly longer bolts on my 4 corners.

Now to pull my radiator that I see is leaking now and have it repaired or replaced....
-Jay

MVPA#31295
3/3 CAV HWB