Leaking Oil Pan Gasket Replaced.

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Carter
1SG
1SG

Leaking Oil Pan Gasket Replaced.

Post by Carter »

I assembled my trucks engine over 25 yrs. ago and last autumn I noticed it had developed a small oil drip which worsened over the winter as I used the truck to plow snow. By spring the absorbent mat under it was getting full and decided it was time for a change. I pulled the right wheel and dropped that sides tie rod ball joint at allow access and provide room to remove the pan. Once down I found some accumulated sludge and the old cork gasket just lifted off with no adhesion either to the pan or the block, no wonder it was leaking. I cleaned removed all traces of oil from the pan and block flange, painted the pan, added a new gasket kit, installed and carefully torqued so as not to crush the gaskets. Changed the filter, added oil then Installed the tie rod and wheel. Yesterday took it for a 12 mile run, once back at the shop rolled under to find a dry pan, SUCCESS :D

I am trying to get the truck ready for the rally at Aberdeen and might trailer it there to save some fuel cost $$ and speed up the trip and not have a string of cars behind me every time I look in the rear view mirror. When driving it I do get some thumbs up and hand waves but as cars pass me on hills I also get some middle finger salutes. :(

These trucks are fun but as maintenance goes, you are never done. :wink:
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Re: Leaking Oil Pan Gasket Replaced.

Post by w30bob »

Hi Carter,

Glad the pan gasket replacement went well. Are you going to share your secret with us.........did you use RTV on one or both sides of the gasket....or did you spray it with gask-a-cinch adhesive....on one side or both? C'mon......fess up! :mrgreen:

thanks,
bob
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

This stuff, small bead spread w/ finger on the pan, placed gaskets held in place by putting cleaned pan bolts down into punched out holes from block side then waited 24 hrs. Spread same small bead spread same way on block side of gasket then used 4 longer 1/4-20 bolts to hold the pan in place while pushing up on it to get the shorter bolts engaged. This is the way I did it, others have different ways and I really won't be sure of no leaks until a lot more hours are on it.

:D ...Your results may very. Past results in no way indicate future performance. Shipping and handling extra. Plus dealer fee.... :wink:
Carter
Life Member:
Chris P
CPL
CPL

Post by Chris P »

I look forward to seeing your truck at Aberdeen!
Chris P
1954 M37
MVPA
MHCC
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Silicon is not allowed on my property. That stuff has no place in an automotive application. Save it for the bathtub. (I've has too many troubles and too few successes with that stuff over the decades.) I'm a Hylomar convert. (That stuff kept my Harley shovelhead tight and dry!) Easy to use, easy to clean off later, seals a very wide range. Not inexpensive.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

just me wrote:Silicon is not allowed on my property. That stuff has no place in an automotive application. Save it for the bathtub. (I've has too many troubles and too few successes with that stuff over the decades.) I'm a Hylomar convert. (That stuff kept my Harley shovelhead tight and dry!) Easy to use, easy to clean off later, seals a very wide range. Not inexpensive.
Good to know, I'll keep you posted about the silicone, this stuff is black so I do not think you suggestion about the tub will work here, I actually clean the possibly matching "Ring around the tub." :wink:
Carter
Life Member:
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

Chris P wrote:I look forward to seeing your truck at Aberdeen!
Thanks, if all goes well I'll be there.
Carter
Life Member:
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Carter,

Thanks for the post. You know.....I've used RTV Black a million times in the past and I never noticed the "Maximum Oil Resistance" right there on the front of the tube. I've hadf success and failures with it, but as usual it's more about how you prep and apply than the product itself. In my younger days I could never let it set properly........always has someplace to be and things to do. Which is when it usually failed. When you get more mature, and patient, and let the stuff cure properly I've rarely had a problem with it.

I've used Hylomar in the past too........great stuff........but a tad expensive. Again, when you get older (and wiser) you learn spending a bit more for a quality product is a smart move. But when you're 22 and the cost of gasket maker comes out of your beer money......then cheaper is better.....even if you have to repeat the job 3 times. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the info guys!

bob
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

Never heard of Hylomar before just me posted about it. I will use that if what is already on there fails. Can't ask for it if you don't know about it. Used the old black sticky non silicone Permatex which finally failed after 20 + years. I'll see if this stuff can match that record.
Carter
Life Member:
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

I've not heard of Hylomar either but will need to look into it since my rear main is leaking. I can try that stuff on the oil pan gasket along with the end seals on the rear main cap.

Nice job on your pan, Carter!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

Cal_Gary wrote:I've not heard of Hylomar either but will need to look into it since my rear main is leaking. I can try that stuff on the oil pan gasket along with the end seals on the rear main cap.

Nice job on your pan, Carter!
Gary

Thanks Gary, I could have taken pix but in the "Heat of Battle" and with oily hands that was going to be more if a pain than it was worth, seen one clean and painted oil pan you have seen what mine looks like (and you thought I was going to say "seen them all"). :wink:
I did place a strong magnet on the outside bottom of the pan to help any nasty little iron/steel gremlins :twisted: from floating around if they should develop.
Carter
Life Member:
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

:oops: :shock: Well, I am surprised that after a 5 mile run I came home and put the M into the garage and the next morning I noticed oil on the floor under the engine then after further examination found the pan covered in oil. Damn, :twisted: thought that problem was taken care of. I guess it's time to start all over and this time to use the Hylomar as recommended by the poster just me. Now I am pressed for time since I have been invited to a car & truck show this coming Sunday then a parade weekend after next.
Carter
Life Member:
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

I had a car like that..........an old Chevy Vega.......never had to change the oil as it always changed itself by leaking out all over the place. It used more oil than gas, but chalk that up to the geniuses at Chevy who put a steel head on an aluminum block. Best $50 car I ever had! :mrgreen:

bob
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

Friend had a Corvair that had the same habit, we never could get the thing to stop leaking from the valve covers no matter how many sets of gaskets or what we used to seal them, another great idea. Un-Safe at Any Speed according to Ralph but he never commented on oil leaks in his book.
Carter
Life Member:
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Sorry for your difficulty, Carter. I'll be doing that job at some point myself.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500